Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted on 17-Aug-2003 8:16:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howdy folks! I thought I'd share today's kayak adventure in Lynnhaven Inlet with you. Darren(carp) and I launched off of the beach at L.I. at around 7:30AM to try our hand at Drum fishing. The tide was slacking off as we got underway and the water was very calm and clear green. Started out fishing the pilings just as you leave the inlet. There was a ton of bait showering and the occaisional larger splash to get the blood flowing. We caught some decent size Croaker on our fishfinder rigs tipped with Mullet. Also had lots of sharp little taps from bait stealers, we guessed to be Taylors and/or Black Seabass. No Flounder or Drum, so we headed over underneath the bridge to try our luck. I fished the Mullet on bottom while casting around the pilings. About the 10th cast with the 4"Storm bait(Golden Mullet) a healthy 23" Grey nailed my bait and was brought to net after a nice , but brief battle. Things were looking good, but we had no other takers here, and so began to move with the tide up the river. All day we noticed A LOT of bait! All types from what we could see, but mostly finger mullet. There were many castnetters on the banks and bows as well. Everyone seemed to be doing well in the bait department..... As the flood tide pushed over the bars and into the grassy islands, Darren and I picked our way along, sometimes wading, sometimes drifting, all the while casting. The kayak perspective is truly unique and stealthy. We would slip right up and over large fish, bait, turtles, and crabs. It was very nice to just drift and watch nature happening. I gained a real appreciation for this approach to angling and I WILL be getting a kayak very soon!! Fishing was comfortable since it was mostly cloudy with a light variable breeze all morning, perfect for no bugs and keeping cool. We floated on, picked up 1/2 a dozen or so Croaker and after being picked at by crabs, we paddled upstream for awhile. We tried to apply what we knew about the Puppy Drum and found a lot of fishy water with big fish boiling and movement right at kayak's length, but no hook-ups. I'd feel the bottom periodically with my paddle searching for oyster beds or depth changes. Then, it finally happened. Behind a large grassy island we found a sandbar that dropped onto an old oyster bed and fish moving everywhere. I cast out and 10 seconds later I feel the hard hit and the rod bow's up and then; snap. Cut off on the shells. That's a bummer.... but there are fish RIGHT HERE!!! Darren casts out and WHAMO..... he's hooked up to a beauty of a fighter! We were both elated as our plan finally came together. I get tied back on and cast out to another fine fish and exciting battle. The fish would circle the kayak's with several other quality fish in pursuit. WOW!!! This is AWESOME!! So, for about the last hour of the flood tide we had 7 hook-ups, broke off 2, landed 4(kept 2) and Darren pulled off a real horse of a fish, after a good 5 minute fight. All of the fish were 23"+! And then the bite; with the tide, slowed to nothing..... We paddled back down river to try the bridge again and be a little closer to our pull out should the weather turn. We didn't do much this time, but for a few snags, and a monster Oystertoad that hit a Storm bait. We called it a day when we ran out of bait and it looked like impending rain......
Thanks to Al B for the tips and advice. They worked! After having this experience and because of the stealth and possibilities, I will be getting a kayak soon. I'm hooked! We'll try and get some pics up soon.... Fish On

:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
parking

Fishwagon- We went ahead and paid the fee to park there at Crab Creek. I believe it was $2....... The kayak's we then carried over the beach/ dune and launched under the bridge... Awesome place to fish from a kayak. I highly reccomend it!

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice report man! I've been watch'en Al's reports also, he sure can find those pups. It's good to hear you found a productive hole!

I just bought a 14 ft. McKee Craft, a take off of the Boston Whaler, and can't wait to get it fixed up and search out those holes myself.

FISH ON..... an on, an on, an on, an on.............:cool:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Zigh, Nice report! You should write for a magazine or something. You get us all into the report! Pm'd your buddy Paul today after he sent me one. I might meet you down there later on next month. Save me some fish till then! Tight Lines!

·
Registered
402 Posts
try fresh crab knuckle on the bottom under the bridge as the tide changes. i guarantee there will be either red or blacks, or both, maybe some sheepshead to boot. there needs to be some flow though, if theres not there will be too many toads. a decent black may take u for a ride in that kayak hehe. good luck

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

gus- Thanks for the tip, may give it a try next time around!

FL Fisherman- Thanks for the compliment. Maybe we'll catch up next month on the overnighter, or maybe another possibility will present itself for some other fishing trip. I'll be in touch.

Be Good
Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
34 Posts
I REALLY ENJOYED THE TRIP. WE'LL HAVE TO GET THEM BACK OUT THERE AGAIN. I'M SURE YOU'LL BE LOOKING FOR ONE NOW.I'LL BRING THE PICS WHEN WE GO OFFSHORE NEXT MONTH.

DARREN:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts