Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. As stated I am a remote worker seeking a move to FL, primarily due to my fishing hobby. Boating isn't a financial reality for me, so I'm looking at areas with easy access to great pier/surf fishing in addition to kayak fishing. My ideal is to be able to ride my bike/walk to the pier.

I have extensive experience in areas that I cannot afford; Ft Lauderdale, Saint Pete, and Miami. With a 250k housing budget- seeking to be as close to the pier/surf as possible- where would you be looking? Am I basically priced out of FL coastal communities in the current market?

Can't do condo's, only interested in single family homes. Literally 1 bed 1 bath is fine.

Thank you!!

EDIT: Should also add that I am single, schools aren't important to me.

·
Registered
705 Posts
during the Pandemic, you need to add at a MINIMUM of $500,000.00 to your budget (and no, I'm not kidding).
or - lower your "standards" to way down to the "un-desirable" neighborhoods.
where are you now ?? can you take a road trip down to that area to explore your options ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
during the Pandemic, you need to add at a MINIMUM of $500,000.00 to your budget (and no, I'm not kidding).
or - lower your "standards" to way down to the "un-desirable" neighborhoods.
where are you now ?? can you take a road trip down to that area to explore your options ?
Hey John,

Thank you for your reply. I'll be in the St Pete area soon to visit friends. I am certainly able to visit areas on both coasts.

I definitely don't have high standards. I'm fine in a manufactured home as well (I have friends in St Pete and can get out of dodge quickly during a storm). I've been working class my entire life, so, it's all that I know.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I would explore North of Tampa/St.Pete = the further South you go, the more the SnowBirds have gobbled up the real estate. for some reason, the Gulf side just seems to be fished out for shore fishing. My brother lives in Homosassa Springs and he is a Yak Nut - but even he says the fishing is not like it was 20 years ago.
Florida is just pooped out with the MASSIVE, stupid-out-of-control explosion of growth. MILLIONS of new homes, schools, fire houses, police departments, and shopping malls are being built every year.
I am one of the last Florida Natives here - been an Orange County resident since 1948.
my wife is fishing over on the Ocean Side this afternoon as we speak:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Look on the west coast of Florida if heading south. Panhandle is reasonable enough as well if not a bit north...better fishing in the creeks with a kayak January and February but the other 10 months pier and surf is great. Also look towards non beach communities to save some money

1 - 6 of 6 Posts