Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a phoned in report from Sandbridge pier. Big Croaker and a couple Striper. Gannets were seen working but now hard to follow due to the fog. :eek:
Who's going?

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Any 1 on this board ever watch that show on Comedy Central,Crank Yankers?

I think the Jerky Boys were a lot better myself.
Bart Simpson calling ,Moe the bartender,is pretty hilarious, too.

But if someone would crank call me about a blitz.........

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was no crank, I know the guys well. I never said blitz, but they are catching.

The SB pier folks are reliable, and fish their a$$es off too.

I think Bart works VB pier anyway. :p

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
hic-lock is no yanker, his tips led me to the biggest striper I got in 02'. at the bridge. If I wasnt stuck at work Id be burnin up the road.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
None taken N4D.

Looks like the high was @ 9:30am, right about the time of the call. I'm gonna try to get some tomorrow morning an give'em a good ol'fashion grease bath
:D

·
Registered
191 Posts
zup all things seem to be picking up :D
what type baits have been used to catch the horses at sand bridge
was this at the pier or in the surf?
got the itch for some bent rods and tight lines.
went to the cbbt today all skunk the gulls looked like decoys just bobbing with the waves. good to get the lines wet though
thanx all

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
squid, tipped with blood worm is a sure bet to entice a hardhead every time.

P

·
0 Posts
Got a quesiton bout them horse croaker.

I have had problems with them twisting the line that's attached to my hooks. Especially when I have had doubles. Does this happen while there are still in the water or does it happen on the haul up to the pier?

Main question is: when using store bought/ready made high-low metal leaders could I attach a "swivel" to each of the two wire loop extensions and then attach the hook and it's line to the swivel to help reduce line twist up? If so should I use a snap swivel or just tie on a plain barrel swivel. I rather use line on the hook instead of attaching hooks directly to the snap end of swivels.

Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure you could experiment w/the swivels to reduce twist. You never know until you try, and I'll try anything once.

I would suggest taking some time to learn how to tie your own rigs. Using heavier monofilament snelled to your hooks on those store bought bottom rigs might help w the twist. It's nearly impossible to stop it completely though.

Replace them when needed and keep the hooks and practice tying your own. Go to the "how to" page, <--- There on the left menu, then to the "knots guide", that will help.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Last year,I was using the old reliable fish finder-rig/carolina rig to fish for croakers.Caught my biggest ones with that set up....Lil Creek Fence,Chixs Beach,by the jetty.

2-4 oz egg sinkers,lil red bead,30 lbs swivel,leader,(gold)hook.That easy...I just reel in nice and smooth.

You can go Hi-Lo pre made rigs if you were fishing for bait,but I would use the pre-made type that you can clip your own hook(s) on.

·
Registered
256 Posts
just got home from work, and there are still birds hitting the water. not all grouped together but never the less, they are still picking off the baitfish. hope they stick around till the morning.

P

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. Nserch4Drum will that rig be good for a pier? And with squid?

Looks like "LI pier" is the place to be tomorrow. Hope yall won't miss a chance at getting that first pic for the spring 2003 gallery. Someone please remember to take along a camera. :rolleyes:

Good Luck this weekend all! :cool:

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I don't see why not,Surf Stirrer,Just remember-Don't cross any lines,stay in control,and have a blast.

Unfortunatly,fate has played a miserable trick on me,Here I am stuck @ work on a Saturday morning,Tapping away at a keyboard,thinking,wishing I was fishing.
But Time and a half,ain't so bad.You can bet the farm,I will at Sandbridge tomorrow.
Hey Surf-N-Turf,don't catch all the fish,save some for me :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Be thinking of ya lil' buddy! You'll get yours another day. Hope we can get together soon. I gotta cook up some BBQ tomorrow or I would be with you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts