Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be headed out to Rehoboth Beach this weekend and will try to get some fishing in at Cape Helopen and hopefully hit IRI at least once. I have never fished IRI before and would like some help. What kind of gear will I need to bring to IRI? Also how do I get there and where do I park? I know that I picked the worst weekend to go but I was invited by my girlfriend's mom, so I probably won't be able to fish too much.
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey fishing buddy I might be able to hook up with you out there. I have fished IRI before "Fished it not catching fish there":rolleyes: I might head out there and try o.c. inlet when I am out there. Give me a holla and I should be able to drive out and meet you some where. Maybe we can get us a flounder:D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be there from 8/29-9/1. Let me see what days my girl will let me fish and I will let you know.
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Sounds good to me. I have 24hr duty on the 28th so that gives me the 29th to the 1st off with the holiday. Let me know. My surgery is gonna be pushed back till nov-dec timeframe:eek: So no easy two weeks convalescent leave till then.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Anthony and Jason!

IRI,huh? I did want to try that this year, but I promised my nephew a bass fishing trip to a little farm pond I know for Labor Day weekend. Besides, old guys like me aren't meant for slippery jetties (and Ed has trouble with a simple gangplank, as we all learned at Rippon Marine!)

Good luck, and post your results....

·
Registered
472 Posts
Watch Your Mouth !

When you're in Rehobeth.

Don't go spouting off about your "girlfriend."

The "flamers" consider that a deviant lifestyle.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking maybe sunday we can meet up and decide what to do then. Hopefully we can get some tips before we head out there. If you want we can hit one of the headboats that goes out of IRI for some flounder. The angler headboat is pretty good, or maybe we can just fish from shore and hope we get lucky. By the way, did you find my extra line from my cast net? It's actually my drop net line. If you haven't seen it, then I probably left it at Breezy Point.
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Nope no line left in my car. You must of left it there. Wasn't it thicker than the line I had or the same? When Hat gets back we will see if he's got it. I have been to IRI a few times and know if you want to catch some nice fish you have to go on the jetties. Only problem is that you really need corkers to be safe on em. Are you going to fish Cape Henelopen? That part that has that inlet that you pull your car up to and fish off the rocks? It is right near the beach area so you could virtually surf fish there too. This is the only place I have fished there. Let me know I would be down with a headboat trip if we are going for flounder.

·
Registered
680 Posts
there are some nice trout being taken at night but it is tricky. the fishing will soon pick up as some mullet have made a showing. a few. another 2-3 weeks will be great. if you go to cape henlopen, some nice croakers and spot are being taken. bloodworms are bait of choice. very slow on rock. i just got home again on sat. so i have some checking up to do. i'll post later.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Hmmm..... Headboat trip for fluke. That could take my nephews mind off of bluegills and bass (his favorite fish are sharks!)

Isn't there a pier at CHSP where Duke of Fluke catches flounder and weaks? Yo Duke! Where is you?

We could send Ed out on the jetty if someone brings a camcorder this time.... May be $10,000.00 in it! I think Capt Dave's save on the gangplank would have at least made the TV show.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Billr!

After the Chesapeake Charter I don't want to SEE another rock unless its 28 inches or better, and preferably over 36 inches! Some horse croaker I can handle.... I have a lot of catching up to do in the fluke and weakie department.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Smoothbore!

Me and Ed pick at each other like an old married couple... Maybe we'll fit in (although I don't think ANYONE wants to see either one of us in a speedo!)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
So MJ, you and your nephew thinking about coming down? Let us know sounds like a reunion from last week:D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I'll have to buy some new line. I was thinking of hitting the Angler sunday morning, then trying IRI or CHSP after the trip. I will give them a call to see if they are still fishing for flounder or if they have started bottom fishing for sea bass. If they are fishing for sea bass, then I probably won't go. They are on their summer schedule, so that means 30 dollars for a 6 hour trip that sails at 8:00am. I am pretty sure that no reservations are necessary, but I will call tomorrow. It seems that IRI is the better place to go for large rockfish and possibly trout at night, and tautog and flounder during the day, so I would rather fish there. Hey Jason, I don't know if you want to do this but if you wanted to, you can try and get some live spot at Choptank and bring them with us. The sizes that we were catching would make great bait for flounder and rockfish. I'll try to get things squared away by tomorrow.
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Just get the plan together so I know what I need to do before I leave silver spring this weekend. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Guys,
I'll be running between the OC Bridge, Fishing pier, Inlet jetty & IRI for the rest of the season. If you see someone wearing a Liberty Oil cap, that's me.
I moved out here to Hebron from Baltimore in Sept. of last year and I'm goin for big rock and flounder until they stop running. A few doormats would be nice. I hear the flounder were hitting at the OC 3rd street pier so I might try that one to.

P.S., Be careful up on that OC bridge after dark. I hear there's a dumb pollock up there doing a tapdance on the railing to attract the fish. Sure works though. I never saw flounder walk on water like that before :D

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Anthony!

I hear what you're saying... its way to early to even think about catching sea bass. Drifting for fluke sounds a lot more appealing. Even if you and Jason pass on the headboat trip, maybe I can find you guys afterwards.

Did you guys ever find out what those little "sole" were, and why they were climbing out of the water? I'd like to know....

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
So what's the word Anthony? I have to go on a date for a friend of mine on Friday night. She is hooking me up with her sister.:rolleyes: But in fact I want to get with her. Oh well maybe this will help my cause in the long run.:D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I will hit the Angler Headboat sunday morning, then fish IRI afterwards. I called the boat but only got a message, so I sent them an e-mail and am waiting for a response. My girlfriend says it's ok. I have been reading the reports for IRI and things look real promising. I can't wait to go now. Only severe weather will keep me away.
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Nice let me know if they got room for me!:D How much are they running and what time do they leave? What gear you brining?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts