Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charlott and I http://pierandsurf.com/photopost/data/500/pea_island-refuge_002.jpg walked down the Refuge on T day, headed to the killer holes we had seen on our last trip. Walked until we could only see one of the candy colored buildings back in Sandbridge, prolly 1.5-2 miles, fully loaded-five rods, 5lbs of lead and jig heads, lures,plus the usual assorted tackle, bait, drinks and food. To say we were a bit warm when we gave up walking would be an understatement. We past one real good looking hole(plenty of shells,an out suck, sharp dropping of bank,the works) to look for the one hole further up I knew was there. Set up shop on a real noticable point just before low tide and threw bait, trout rigs, rubbers, the lot. Coludn't walk the real narrow slough because it was too deep, so we werent' able to reach the birds on the other side of the bar-very frustrating:--|. About 2pm we walked back to the first hole we had seen, which by now was filling up with water-looking good. Again, we tried everything to no avail. Dolphins turned up http://pierandsurf.com/photopost/data/500/pea_island-refuge_011.jpg and started tearing up the bait, followed by about 20 birds. I swear one of the dolphins would have came over that bar if there'd been just a little more water. I finally had a fish on for about 3 whole seconds on a tandem trout rig, but this came unstuck:( We gave up and headed back, getting back to the ranger station about 6:30. Had a few at the bar in Sandbridge, then Hotel a la truck, with the intention of a nap and then hit the road to Pea Island for sun-up. Of course, we woke up just before sun-up. Dammit.
Got on the beach at Pea Island right at the spot at prolly 1pm, then the Black Friday widows turned up-about 10 peeps. Never seen so many people there.
Well, we fished eel, we fished baits, we fished big spoons off the jettie, we fished trout rigs, we fished and fished and fished till the tide made it too hard to get to deep water and gave up about 7pm. Saw two others with heavers, wading out , but did not see any fish of any description come up. Grabbed some food at Harbor Point Grill and Pizzeria(outer banks mall) which was excellent. It's a small business with good reasonable food and good beer on tap. We cannot rcommend it enough. After a quick nap in Hotel a la truck, it turned out to be 2:30 am so we hit the road, then another qucik nap a 3am(this hiking and fishing stuff will wear you out)waking at 7am,finally getting home at 8:30 am. Fishless:--| :--| :--| :--| :--| :--| :--| :--| :--| :--| :--|

1 - 4 of 4 Posts