·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed my reel list down to:
1. Penn captiva
2.Penn power graph
3.Okuma avenger
Which of these is best for light saltwater??

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Depends....

I have the Captiva bait runner, I also have the Okuma Corranados and Expior. If you like bait runners go with those. If not, either one you have there would be good.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
i've got 2 captivas (4000 & 5000)... they're great light tackle reels. long casting, wobble-free retrieve, instant anti-reverse, and smooth enough drag... the 5000 has been dunked, handled a few big rays, and is still as smooth as the day i got it. they're great reels for the price. i also have an avenger 50 spooled up with 15lb. mono. although it doesn't get much use (it's my 'loaner') i've never had any problems with it. did the job striper fishing this past fall.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
D.none of the above...check out the Daiwa Laguna 4000.....best buy.and better quality....check out E-bay, yo can usually win 1 with a bid of about $50.00

·
Registered
231 Posts
Okuma Inspira IA40/IS40 or Penn 550SSG - from EBAY

During the last month, I got 3 reels from EBAY (all brand new - in box).

1. Penn 550SSG - $73 ($89.95 plus retail price)
- I have seen others win it from $59 to $83

2.. Okuma Inspira IS40 - $50.01 ($89.95 retail price) - 11 ball bearing - Just last night, I have seen a winning bid for only $42.50!!

3. Okuma Inspira IA40 - $47 ($89.95 retail price)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Daiwa Procaster 7i - from BASSPRO.COM

If price is a major consideration, basspro.com has a daiwa procaster 7i on sale for only $29.88 (see link below)

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=58409&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

There are also some sweet deals on their bassmaster spinning rods. Just ordered 2 bassmaster angler series 6'6" rods (medium/heavy-1 pc w/ 8 guides) for only $29.88. Original price was $69.99.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=50443&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

I would personally avoid the Penn Captiva which is their lower end reels. My friend got one 2 months ago and is now regretting getting it instead of the Okuma Inspira which I only got for $47. If you really want to get the Penn Captiva, you would easily get it (brand new) for easily $25 to $40 via ebay.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Nserch4Drum said:
D.none of the above...check out the Daiwa Laguna 4000.....best buy.and better quality....check out E-bay, yo can usually win 1 with a bid of about $50.00

Yes Sir right choice. If ya dont wanna go on E-bay the go to Lighthouse Tackle or Bass Pro Shops both sell that reel. That Reel is REEEEEEl smooth 7 ball bearing with infanat anti reverse and a lite aluminum frame. Also comes with two spools. Sizes 500 to 4000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stay the HELL AWAY from Daiwa Laguna . 5 ball bearing that seize up 2nd time you use them. I bought 3 and threw 2 in the garbage after the rusted from salt water. Fresh water only. Go with the Okuma. I bought like 6, the Avenger lasted me 2.5 yrs in salt water with a rinse after ea use. Parts are cheap and very easy to replace. I am not a Penn fan, love Daiwa in the higher end models.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Stay the HELL AWAY from Daiwa Laguna . 5 ball bearing that seize up 2nd time you use them. I bought 3 and threw 2 in the garbage after the rusted from salt water. Fresh water only. Go with the Okuma. I bought like 6, the Avenger lasted me 2.5 yrs in salt water with a rinse after ea use. Parts are cheap and very easy to replace. I am not a Penn fan, love Daiwa in the higher end models.
Kind of out of touch with the higher end Daiwa's, which models are you referring to please?, thanks,...pop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts