Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinkin about buyin an Abu Garcia 6600 conventional reel. Is this a good reel fo surf / pier fishing? Any opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I have the ABU 6500 CS Mag and use it exclusively for casting lures in the 1/2 to 2 oz range to striped bass in the Indian River Inlet in Delaware. The reel is outstanding and casts forever!

It is a levelwind reel. I do not know about the model you mentioned.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your reel capable of chunking 4-6 oz. sinkers? I wanted this reel to go with my other surf reels and possibly a fighting reel for king rigs. Do you think that it would be fine for heavy surf? Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an ABU 6600 I took it out last week and it was awesome for flinging out my 4oz sinker. Launched it like a bullet. a few times I know it sent my bait 150 yards. and with that drag system and 6.3.1 ratio it really brings them in with little effort.

Tight Lines :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds great..... I might just have to get one. Baitcaster, what size rod do you have on it. I was thinkin 9' for mine but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
668 Posts
hey seafisher, if you want a fighting reel for a king rig you need something that will hold over 400 yds, like a tld25. a king or red will spool your abu's.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I knew that its just that when I thought about what I had typed it was too late to go back. A lot of people say to get a reel for a king rig that'll hold about 650 yds. I'm still wanting that Abu though..... :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
for my surf and pier reels i use the penn jigmaster...it has held up great and holds plenty of line...maybe a lil cheaper but im not sure ;)

·
Registered
823 Posts
the abu 6600 is a great reel . i catfish with them. but they are right you will need something that holds more line. good luck and tight lines

·
Registered
823 Posts
the abu 6600 is a great reel . i catfish with them. but they are right you will need something that holds more line. good luck and tight lines

1 - 10 of 10 Posts