Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, This is my first post and I am hoping that you might be able to help an inlander in making choices to upgrade equipment.
I fish from shore for sturgeon in a river with a fairly fast current and catch 6-8 footers. My present rigs consists of Penn 330GTIs on 12 foot Ugly Sticks. One reel casts 80# Power Pro braid and the other 50# mono. There are a couple of holes that can only be reached with a rig that can cast an honest 100 yards with 6 oz. weight plus bait. The Penn 330s have stock drag washers and the drags are strong and big enough to fight a fish and not be destroyed in the process.
The problem is that the 330 is so heavy and bulky that I can barley muster honest 100 yard casts in practice at a park with 6-8 oz. weight. I have removed the levelwind from one of the reels and that helps a little.
Can anyone recomend another baitcaster that is smaller and lighter in weight and has a drag that is equal to or better than the 330 Penn? Are the heavy bulky Ugly sticks to blame?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome to the crew! I have got not clue how they hold up but i do know alot of people will probably chime in and tell you about the daiwa sealine (slh, or slosh as some call em). You might want to check them out!

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Welcome to Pier & Surf, Galaxy! :)

·
Banned
328 Posts
Saltist

I have been using the Mag 525 too but also have tried the new Saltist 30 reels. Easy to throw and they accomodate braid. My favorites are tricked out Abu's but I don't know if they be suitable for your type of fishing. Check out Bill's Reels to see what I prefer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How does the GS535 compare with the 525 mag for size of drag? How much difference in casting ability? I know the 525 has a reputation with the long distance casters and the 535 has a reputation for a good strong drag.

·
Registered
506 Posts
How does the GS535 compare with the 525 mag for size of drag? How much difference in casting ability? I know the 525 has a reputation with the long distance casters and the 535 has a reputation for a good strong drag.
The drags are the same, same part numbers on the two reels. The 525 Mag should pull a little more drag due to the smaller diameter spool, but they are both still strong enough for really big fish. I have both reels and the 525Mag is a better caster and far easier to control than the 535GS.

If you realy need more capacity than a 525Mag and still want an easy casting distance reel, take a hard look at the Daiwa Sealine-X 20SHA and 30 SHA.

The -20 has more capacity than the 525, and the -30 has even more and is a much easier to control reel than the 535GS.

The Daiwas SL-X's have some nice features like a clicker detent on the drag star and the drags are as good or better than the Penns. They are cheaper, too.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
daiwa sealines

biggest bang for the buck, the sealines are the best ... fantastic drag, bullet proof, holds lots of line, loudest clicker around, and around $100 a real bargain .... not that the 525's bad,

Here you will find three groups of guys, Abu guys, 525 guys and Daiwa guys ... all are great reels that will cast 100 yards with practice ... but for distance loosing the levelwind is a big plus ...

a better rod will also help

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Fishing for sturgeon, forget the 525, after the cast you will have not much line and a sucky drag. Daiwa in the 30 size gives more line and a drag that works.

JMO

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If your current outfit is too heavy as you stated, and your wanting more distance in your cast, consider replacing the ugly stick, They are very heavy and stiff, IMO.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Fishing for sturgeon, forget the 525, after the cast you will have not much line and a sucky drag. Daiwa in the 30 size gives more line and a drag that works.

JMO
I agree. I fish Sturgeon quite often on the Columbia river.

I use a Penn 980 power mag power reel. They dont make this reel anymore but you may find one on ebay.

I also use a magged Penn 140 Squidder and a magged Penn 113 Baja Special reel.

Daiwa 30 is also a solid choice. The Newell reels are great as well.

And welcome to P&S.

·
Registered
98 Posts
While I've never fished sturgeon, I have both the 525 mag and the Daiwa SHA 20 and 30. I love all of them, but actually (slightly) prefer the SHAs - somehow I'm just more comfortable with them. They'll definitely give you more line capacity.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
if you want something that cast well and has the same drag class as the 320's look into a Daiwa saltist 40h. There big but are tanks and cast well. I have one on a 10 foot ugly stick and it cast very well and holds lots of line...in my case I have a top shot of 30lb mono with the main line 50lb dacron braid. This works well for huge catfish in the James river but will also cast like a dream. Smooth as silk and able to crank in a monster. My 02

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I must have missed the sturgeon part. A 525 is definitely underclassed. Saltist 30H or 40H would do the trick, with the 40H probably taking the cake.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.