Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a Diawa JDM Tournament ISO Spinning Surf Reel from All American Outdoors. They evidently import Japan reels among others.

But, I am not familiar with the Diawa models:1400, 1450, 1500, 1550, 1600 etc. relative to the size of the reels.

I want something to put on a 4 piece 10' St. Croix Travel Spinning Rod. I fish mostly along the Atlantic surf between Maryland and Wilimington, NC. Also a bit from the beaches of the Caribbean.

Can someone familiar with Diawas give me a recommendation or two?

Thanks. Earl

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
shimano stradic 5000FI ..

lightweight, good travel size, holds a good amount of braid, just as good drags as daiwa.
would match that 10'er better then the t-iso

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which of the Daiwas would compare size-wise to the Shimano Stradic 5000FI?
Also, how can the two be realistically compared? The Daiwa cost about $450.00 as compared to as little as $114.00 for the Shimano.

Earl

·
Registered
142 Posts
ej,

The Japan numbering system for the reels seems to be different. In the US, the Diawa and Shimano numbering systems are close with 1500 and 2000 being small lightweight reels and 6000 and 7000 being much larger heavy weight.

For your purposes you need to compare line compacity, that's what it is all about. Depening on you fishing preferences, you need 200-250 yds of 12-15 lb test mono. If you went the braid route, you should get 200-300 yds of 30 lb test.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have seen that site and they have some nice reels but something seems fishy about them to me. There is about 3 sites that are exactly the same but have differnt names. I would call my order into them if you plan to order from them

·
Registered
854 Posts
Earl take a look at the Penn Slammers. A great reel for a great price. They are made for Salt water and are easy to maintain. A 460 will hold 240yrds of 12lb. line which should be more than ample as an all purpose reel. You can find one for 120.00 easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To all suggesting Shimano reels for Saltwater use

To all suggesting Shimano reel for Saltwater use please be careful. Shimano Sustains, Stradics, Saharas, Tx's etcetera are not designed for saltwater use. All of these reel run in that $125 - $175 range and saltwater usage eats them alive. I have repaired over 10,000 reels in my lifetime and a good 1,500 to 2,000 were Shimano's used in a saltwater environment. If you are going to use a Shimano freshwater reel in saltwater, rinse it carefully and get it thououghly cleaned at the end of every season. If you wait until the beginning of the next season, it will probably be too late.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Purchase the Daiwa Exceler line instead. MUCH better steel body reel for $75-$80. Best reel of its type for the money anywhere. Also, it comes with two spools.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts