Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Fish'n Phil!

I live in Philly, and Penn (basically a family-owned business) was recently sold to a bigger company. The old line of Penn Reels are still being made here in Philly (for now), but I'd be sceptical of any new items with a Penn label. You can see on Ebay how the value of "old" Penn reels have gone up, and there was a recent thread where members wrote how their old Penns (up to 45 years old) still work like new. Penn has introduced liveliners and smaller baitcasting reels in an effort to compete with Shimano and newcomer TICA.

I have no idea how the new models will work out, but the fact that larger companies usually sacrifice quality for a better looking bottom line doesn't bode well for Penn. Plus the Penn factory is unionized (which corporate types hate), and there is no room for expansion. Chances are the PENN name will go the way of Mitchell reels (I still have a few of the cherished "made in France" reels...)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.