Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got back today from a day out fishing at the beach. I rinsed my reel with warm water in the places where dirt and saltwater had gotten to, then sprayed on a little wd-40 at most of the exposed joints. Is this correct or did I do a no-no?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Sounds pretty good. I either just rinse with water or I use Reel Magic by Blakemore. The problem with Wd40 is it breaks down stuff(I believe oils too). The Reel Magic I use when I'm not near water for a rinse. Every now and then I take a thin oil to the joints on spinners. Other than that Salty can tell you how often I service a reel.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey Digger,

kind of guilty of that myself! Thank goodness for that little oil pen. My light reel got a little stiff today(like the noise wasn't enough of a forwarning) thought I was going to have to hand-over-hand my lure in! :rolleyes: The one I have is made by South Bend and has Teflon in it. Has been a lifesaver a couple of times!

Tight lines,

Jighead

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so then some "3 in one" would be a better choice to use as a lube after giving the reel a rinse?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Rinse with water just not under pressure. Then lube the joints of the reels as needed. I like Reel Magic and I use it when I'm not near water.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with all the posters helping you,clean with fresh water,maybe a little 3n1,BUT ALWAYS back the drag off,before you store it! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts