Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am cleaning and servicing my reels for next year. I am keeping 4 to use now. The others I am stripping down and re-oiling them. I am stripping line off a lot of them and will re do them in the spring. If they are to be stored for a length of time I always take the line off.
For cleaning I have an ultrasonic cleaner and a small shark steam machine (got at yard sale for $15.00 and works great for cleaning grease and oil)

How far do you go when you prepare reels for the next year?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
"I go as far as taking it apart and then not being able to put it back together":):)
Don't want to hijack the thread jcreamer, but where did you get your ultrasonic cleaner from? Looking for one to clean old brass carburetor jets.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well in spinning reels i put the oil in the little port it has and i open the main frame in the bottom, i take out the big parts and the ones that come out easy!I take out all the grease and i regrease everything thoroughly! Its incredible how after something like this you can feel the difference in smoothness! I also put oil on the gear shaft under the spool, after i put oil on the shaft i then put grease over it and also under the drag cap thingy, you know the one you turn to tighten/lessen the drag i put some grease there too! For conventionals i take out mostly everything putting them in the exact order they go! i grease up everything, i just dont take out the things that are inside the sideplate that are screwed into the spool almost! im scared i might mess something up! Do conventionals have oil ports like spinning reels?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"I go as far as taking it apart and then not being able to put it back together":):)
Don't want to hijack the thread jcreamer, but where did you get your ultrasonic cleaner from? Looking for one to clean old brass carburetor jets.
Micromark.com they deal in hard to find tools

1 - 6 of 6 Posts