Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I have been reading the board for a while and I finally decided to sign up. There seems to be a lot of collective knowledge and experience here so I figure this is the best place to ask.... I am looking at conventional reels for throwing 2 to 3 oz stingsilvers for spanish. I would like to hear some opinions on the best reel for both distance and fast retrieval.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm not a fan of throwing stingsilvers with conventional reels, but if I had to, it would be a 5500 or 6500 ABU levelwind with 6-1 or better gears.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
First off, I have been reading the board for a while and I finally decided to sign up. There seems to be a lot of collective knowledge and experience here so I figure this is the best place to ask.... I am looking at conventional reels for throwing 2 to 3 oz stingsilvers for spanish. I would like to hear some opinions on the best reel for both distance and fast retrieval.
if u have to go conventional, get a 5500cs mag w/ levelwind bearing kit...but really, throw some spinners first...after the first couple hours of throwing, you'll be glad you are throwing a spinner :)

i LOVE the new stradic 5000's... fast, smooth, strong, and with some light braid, throw metal out of sight. truely hard to beat.

Jesse

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I'll chime in for spinners over conventional as well, especially if you're throwing for a while. I have 4 Stradics, two FH's and two FI's, and they're all great. I wasn't crazy about the FI's at first, but now I love them as well.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a stradic and it works great. I guess I was just thinking I might gain a bit of distance with a conventional and I figured with a levelwind it wouldn't be more work. Maybe I should just stick with what I have.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I just this year started using this reel, 6600 C5 MagX on a 9' Tsunami Airwave. This combo will flat out smoke a glass minnow out of sight. It also has the speed to bring it up to the top for Smacks or keep it down for Blues. At $85 for the reel and $90 or so for the rod it wont break the bank. If you just want a reel for throwing lures the 5600 or even the 4600 size will work.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
I'd certainly go spinning as well. Tossed Gotchas and Stingsilvers with an Abu 5500 and it worked alright but I get better distance with spinners and you don't have to worry about backlashes while the fish are blitzing.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you already have a stradic I would stick with that never heard anybody say a bad word about them when throwing for spanish and blues

·
Registered
862 Posts
I use and would recomend Abu 5500 C3CT Mag Elite or the 6500 C3CT Mag Elite or Blue Yonder. I mostly use the Blue Yonder on a Zziplex Powertex Bass and it will throw very far casting 3oz. Anything lighter I would lean towards the 5500. If using braid I would also lean towards the 5500. I use conventional for anything over 1/4oz. Spinners just are not comfortable for me to use especially thowing lures all day.

John

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I also would go with a spinning reel for casting sting silvers as I do here in Va. for stripped bass. I'm not that much of a fan of them but the Shimano's are a good reel for casting to fish like Spanish Mackerel they have a fast 6:1.1 gear ratio to retrieve that lure back in which is what the Spanish like a fast retrieve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts