Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my new 12' solaris in going to be on the way soon, what spinning reel should I ask Santa for?

I'm an experianced left coast fisherman that recently moved to NC and looking forward to trying my luck on the eastern shores. From what I have been reading it's a little different fishing here. Once I get rigged up, anyone want to take a East Coast Novice to the beach and show him how it's done?

Most my gear sounds a little light.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It depends on how much you want to spend. I'm thinking of the Okuma Epixor EB-50. It's a little on the small side but I think it will handle well. I think it goes for about $70+. If you want something a little less expensive, go for the Avenger line of reels from Okuma.

There's plenty of options out there but it really depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Daiwa EmblemX 6000T

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Coronados are a good reel for your buck too! I will be getting one for one of my new rods coming.:)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If you want a

true saltwater reel, the Coronado is your answer. Theres not a better baitrunner made for the money. Go to Okumas website and read the specs. Their setting a new standered for all rod & reel makers!....Tightlines

·
Registered
185 Posts
Reels,
Conventional can go for the Avet SX Mini Reels, hold 375 yds of 16 lb test, and go for $159. The Shimano Torium 16 holds 450 yds of 16 lb test (Shark River mail order has them at www.srmo.com). Prices run around the same.

For spinning, you have the Daiwa Emblem series XT, XA or ZA and the new Daiwa Grand Wave with the bait runner feature. Granted, these may cost more than the Okumas but then you get what you pay for in terms of dependability and manufacturers warranty service. Check the Daiwa website (www.daiwa.com) to get the capacities and technical specs. JMHO.Check with www.digitaldagger.com for a decent price on the Daiwa reels.

·
Registered
472 Posts
mapcaster said:
Now that my new 12' solaris in going to be on the way soon, what spinning reel should I ask Santa for?

Most my gear sounds a little light.
That's a common misconception

Yes, the 12'er will serve you very well, down on the barrier islands. A good quality spinning reel, with the "baitrunner/Live Liner" type features will be the best choice.

Since this type of rod is intended for long distance bait fishing, it will probably spend most of the time "spiked", rather than being held. So weight isn't that important.

For that reason, I would reccommend one of the larger, higher capacity reels, with the Penn 5600L "Live Liner" being My first choice.

But here's the thing

Once the big rod is "in the spike", you'll have lots of opportunities to use your lighter outfits.

Everyone wants to catch a Cow but the bitter truth of the matter, is that there'll be a lot of time to kill, between bites, on the "big rig".

I have an awful lot of fun, with a 7' rod, with 8lb line. Fishing in the "wash" with sand fleas or bloodworms.

Panfish have "saved the day" many, many, many times.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Solaris

Okuma Coronado casts like a dream! Also reels in the bigguns with little effort! Penn Slammer 560 is also a nice reel..a little expensive but is well made..I haven't tried mine on my 12' Solaris yet..could be this weekend..I also have the 8' Solaris that I like using for pier and jetty fishing!:)

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Murphman -

In your opinion which is better Penn Slammer or the SS line of spinning reeels?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Penn Slammmer Reply

You can't go wrong with the SS, I think..it's been around for a few years..I have a 5500SS that I will be sending back to Penn this winter for surgery..it's about 15 years old..has many miles of headboat fishing..off shore wreck fishing and IRI bucktailing on it..just want to fix it because it was the first Penn that I bought for myself at age 21...I have a slammer 560 that I just purchased this year..I reeled in two 30" rock from the rips this year..have used it in the inlet..from the surf..from the boat..so far I like it..I may get a 460 model from Santa..won't that be nice..if the slammer series is like the SS series, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with either..I hope this helps:)

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
My .02

The older SS models are great. Now the newer ones are of lesser quality it seems. I believe they started making them overseas now and it hasn't been the same since. I just bought an 8500SS about two months ago and my anti-reverse is already causing problems. Last week Anthony and I walked the beach and saw a few people with the new SS reels and EVERY SINGLE person I talked to were having the same problems! I am quite upset about it and will be sending it in for repair after the season is over and give them a nice little letter with it explaining my dissatisfaction. PENN is a proven reel for the past 50 years but if they keep making CHEAPER reels instead of QUALITY ones then I think they will be getting passed up by many other manufacturers.

·
Registered
904 Posts
solaris

I have the Daiwa extreme 5000 xt on a 12 solaris and for my money there is no better combination. I have heard however that the extreme series is being discontinued by Daiwa, so there are some left out there. But it casts like a dream and the solaris loads up nicely....good luck with whatever you get, the rod is a winner for my money....salt

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I'm between the Coronado and the Emblem XT.

The XT will throw further and would be a perfect setup for slinging metal a country mile.

The Coronado would allow more versatility, allowing both casting and deadsticking bait with a little more confidence than I've have in the Daiwa in such a situation. I'll probably go with the Coronado.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Penn SS

They are still ASSEMBLED in the U.S. Now where the parts originate is another qustion. I know when I got my father-in-law a 4300ss this summer, I was told that, since the sale of Penn, they were going to try to cut costs on certain reels and start making them over seas. Again, I got this second hand. Personally, I like the 6500 baitrunner for my reel.

·
Registered
210 Posts
"PENN is a proven reel for the past 50 years but if they keep making CHEAPER reels instead of QUALITY ones then I think they will be getting passed up by many other manufacturers."

Could be Ford, GM, Zenith, Magnavox, etc. A lot of American companies are living off the reputation of those long gone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts