Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some suggestions on a reel for casting spoons for Spanish Mackerel on a 9-10 rod.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Thats what I use on my Breakaway 10'6" Omega...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like a spinning reel for throwing metal and plugs. I'd lean toward something like a Daiwa BG4000 loaded with 20 pound braid, with fluorocarbon leader. Then after dwelling on it awhile I'd probably buy a used Daiwa SS Tournament 2600 from eBay and use that, because I'm cheap and I really like the SS Tournament reels.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Stradic 4000, 15# braid. Even 10# braid if they're way out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any 4K size will do, a 5k would be a bit much on a 9'...IMO.. but... if you already have 5k size run with it. Do listen to slosh though, "20 pound braid, with fluorocarbon leader".

·
Registered
6 Posts
What about the Penn Slammer III (or older)? No mention for the Penn Slammer yet? You can get a smaller size if all you are after are Spanish mackerel. Better drag and gears than anything else on the market, and will take a splash of salt and sand and keep going. I know it's overkill for basic needs, but you didn't say price was a factor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would recommend you get the highest speed reel you can reasonably afford. Smacks often run with bluefish which are more aggressive so the only way you can pluck the smacks from the school is by out speeding the blues. The slammer III 3500/4500 are quite fast at around 40" retrieve per crank. The new shimanos in the 4k/5k are about the same 40" for the XH models; Stradic FL is the cheapest of the recent designs. Diawa has similar offerings, the 3k BG being pretty fast at 38.5" per crank and that can be found for close to $100 on amazon if you keep a look out.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
A 4000 size reel will handle just about anything on our beaches...Blues, Spanish, and Albies.....Nothing smaller. The shimano numbers tend to run a little small as far as capacity wise. A 40 will work fine just keep in mind you may have less line. The sky is the limit on what you want to spend. I would not buy anything of less quality of a Penn Battle if you're on a budget.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts