Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an all-star 1265/2 with fuji concept guides and am trying to get more distance with it. currently i'm using either a daiwa emblem sia 3500 or 4000, with 20 lb power pro. mostly i'm casting 3/4 oz bombers (too darn light, I know, for good distance), as well as 1 oz - 2 oz poppers and the like. I figure I'm only going to get more distance by bettering my technique (sux at the moment) and/or by getting a larger reel. Taking the latter route, do those here think getting maybe a daiwa x5000t would add a bunch more distance, without unbalancing the rod? what about even bigger than that?
or is there another reel that might work even better?
thanks for any advice that may come my way!

·
Registered
712 Posts
well the first thing you'll have to do is improve your technique.you can't buy distance.where do you live?maybe someone live near that can give you some help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Mark: I live near Narragansett, in RI. Know anybody hereabouts that could be of help?
btw -- I see you live in DE. I spent my formative years in Rehoboth Beach, where all my friends had fathers who either grew soybeans or raised chickens. When my friends inhereted the businesses, they became land developers and made millions turning their unused land into expensive subdivisions (Lewes) and outlet malls (you know where). What a waste. I return about once a year and am appalled by the traffic.

·
Registered
712 Posts
floete big dave live in Mass. i think but there a few casters up that way.

lewes don't get me started i used to want to live there but the traffic will slowly kill you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, mark:

now ... if I were to get a new reel to go with my 1265, what reel would you get? IOW, I guess, what's the biggest daiwa xt you think would balance fairly well on that rod?

sorry to hear about lewes.
i owned a house in rehoboth that i sold in 1984, during the height of a real estate recession. it's probably worth a million now. I'm worth pennies.

·
Registered
680 Posts
hey floete. i do live in rehoboth and the traffic is horrendous. even this weekend. i live just off rt,1 in midway.
as for a reel, have you considered the new penn slammers? i have 2-460 on 8ft starr rods. they work great. also have 2-5600 live liners on 12'3" all star rods. i use 20" power pro. they cast very well. i put half of spool with mono then tie in the braid. it works for me. the slamers have a long cast type spool on the reels.:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi floete, take a look at the new Daiwa Laguna series some nice features like IAR ,Twistbuster and reversed tapered ABS spool for approx. $70-$80.It has about 5 ballbearings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts