Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fisherfolks,

I recently picked up a 12' Tica spinning pole rated at 15-40 # test, 4 - 10 oz, fast action. Can anyone recommend a reel that would best take advantage of the Tica's abilities.......I have a Penn 7500. Would something else better suit this pole?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was speaking to Ryan at Hatteras Jacks today and he was telling me about a new surf reel from Diawa called the Emblem Pro. It is supposed to replace the XA and the ZA. It has 6 ball bearings and costs about $135. Models range from a 4500 to a 5500. That is way less than the XA or the ZA. You might want to check it out.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is that a 7500 or a 7500ss?

There is a distinct difference. I usually use a baitrunner when surf fishing. I have never had any problems with my shimano 6500 baitrunner, but Okuma and silstar both make a much cheaper version that will cost about half. Try ebay for getting a deal.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas. I'll check em all out. I'm looking to get a little more distance in my casts.

Hey Baran, whereabouts in NE PA are you? My folks used to have a place outside of New Milford in Susquehana County.
R U near there?

·
Registered
215 Posts
South of there

I'm about a hour south of there, located about 20 minutes from Wilkes-barre. We were lucky and only got about 5 inches of light packed snow.

Rich

·
Registered
232 Posts
Reel

Ruedy,

One more factor to consider with your reel of choice is where and what you will be fishing for. Reel line capacity is a factor in some areas like the Point at OBX (300yds of 20lb test) or is 200 enough for your desired fishing hole. Good luck!

macman
:D

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Penn ! Penn ! Penn ! Penn ! The finest reel in the world for the money. And you will never have to wait 4-5 weeks for parts. Most any town known for fishing has a great Penn repair and parts place.

I have seriously abused my Penn 6500 SS reel this summer and it works as smooth as the day I bought it.

I don't care what you hear................If you want the best reel for the money it's definately a Penn.

Just do a basic web search on Penn reels, and I promise you, that you wont find any disappointments.

I know I sound like a Penn salesman. But trust me, I'm just a work a day guy who throws the rod into the back of my truck and goes to the surf. Sometimes it's banging around in my truck bed for days.

You can't go wrong with a Penn.

The 7500 that you have should be fine.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If you pick the okuma you will not be sorry the bait feed I have was a joy to fish with and I love it so much I'm asking Santa to bring me another on for Christmas.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i have heard that the newer penns are not nearly as nice as the older ones

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Penn reels are not what they use to be!!!

Ask FLF, he got a new SS 7500 and in two weeks it was broke. It seems he found many other folks at AI that day with the same complaints about the new Penn reels. They need all those repair shops.

For the money there is not a better reel made then Okuma! This company has set a new standard for all reel makers. I'll put my Okuma Coronodo baitfeeder up against a Shimano baitrunner any day of the week. Their one weak point is the clickers are not very loud.

With that said, get a Okuma. You won't be sorry. ;)...Tightlines

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
hey hat have you used the okuma lever drags? Thinking of getting a 15 for kingfishing

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
J_L I'm a Penn man myself. Guess I'm just shopin. You know
how it is, can never have enough stuff........Can't wait to
try out the Tica for Rock down in the OBX. I'll prob stick
a Penn on it before I get another reel though I've been
interested in those newer "long cast" reeels.

Baran I remember riding by Wilkes Barre going up the
NE Extension then I 81 when I was a kid. It
pretty country back then. What's it like now?
Folks live near Quakertown now. They got 10-12
inches.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's not country much anymore

Scranton and wilkes-barre are two cities you don't want to live in. So most of the people live outside them so there are alot of houses being build. It's alot more builtup from when I was younger and I'm in my early 30's now.

We're actually planning to move about a hour south of this area. My wife works south of us, and I'm willing to do the longer commute. We're looking at getting a large parcel of land. I lived on a farm for most of my life and miss the free space. Plus, it would be closer to the shore. My family has a house in Pt. Pleasant and we usually take the turnpikes to 195. We only got about 5 inches of snow.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey bluerunner,

I have two of the TG-50W's for bluewater. Again I really like these reels. The power handles are great. You really feel like you have something to crank with and they are so smooth. :)...Tightlines

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Hat, I've got to give that Okuma a try. I see that some of the charter boat boys are starting to use them.

Catman.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
what about just the plain titus, not the gold or silver, is it a good deal or would i be better off going with a tld or penn 225ld

1 - 17 of 17 Posts