Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Another newbie question: What's the best way to clean your gear (especially your reel(s)) after a day in the salt water? I was advised by a reel salesman once to wash with gentle fresh water and then spray down everything with lemon Pledge to keep the reels lubricated. Does this sound legit? I currently use only spinning reels. I don't know if that changes the answer.

I searched the forum but I didn't find a match on the subject but I'm sure it's come up before.

Thanks in advance for the advise,

- Mullet Wrangler

·
Registered
904 Posts
Washing reels....

Usually use easy running water and rinse the reel off, then dry it with a towel. Every couple of times give the working parts (exterior) a soft shot of wd40 and wife it off with an ole T shirt. If its winter and the lines aren't hooked up, carry a gallon of water and wash it off at the beach before I put it in the truck.....salt shaker

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Not that my wife is crazy about it, but when I get back from AI, I usually hop in the shower with my rods, let them air dry a bit, towel em off and some well placed WD-40.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The pledge is not a bad idea since it is a wax which would tend to keep things out. The reel should be clean first I knew several people through the years who used Pledge on them and their stuff lasted along time.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
In the shower you go...

LIke Shaggy...I used to take all my party boat rods in the shower with me after I came back from a long day fishing on the party boats. Like you said - Towel dry em' and you're done. I used the Pledge on the rods and the WD-40 on the reels. WD-40 will save your reels from turning saltwater green...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do you remove the spool of line on your spinning reels before spraying with WD40? Any chemists out there with an opinion on what effect if any WD40 would have on mono or braided? I would imagine that line is pretty inert but am not sure. Also oils only decrease friction on relatively heavy objects. Oily line could possibly come off the reel slower than dry line when casting because the line would tend to "stick" together. I'm just guessing, I have no data either way.

·
Registered
348 Posts
wd40 vs. line

why don't you try spraying a piece of line with wd40 on one half and then let it sit a few days. then pull the line and see if it breaks on the sprayed part and if it was much easier to break than an un sprayed part.

my hunch is the WD40 will be tough on line, but won't know until ou try.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Remove spool after shower, towel and air dry. WD40 is stricktly for moving parts, subject to air and salt.

But, think about it, cast line into H2O, I would think salt water would add more friction to the line than WD 40 (and I'm not sure if the fish wouldn't sense smell the WD 40).

WD40, moving parts, shower the rest.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
WD-40 is made from menhadden(Bunker)..

A few casts into the surf with the stuff on your line and it will be removed....and it will do some chumming for you at the same time!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
WD40

rocknwine said:
Do you remove the spool of line on your spinning reels before spraying with WD40? Any chemists out there with an opinion on what effect if any WD40 would have on mono or braided? I would imagine that line is pretty inert but am not sure. Also oils only decrease friction on relatively heavy objects. Oily line could possibly come off the reel slower than dry line when casting because the line would tend to "stick" together. I'm just guessing, I have no data either way.

Don't quote me as an authority but I've heard of WD40 being used on bait as a fish attractant.

It apparently doesn't hurt mono because I spray my reels, line and all with it and it's been a long time since a fish broke my line. I would think that it might even add a bit of distance to the cast (less friction in the guides) but who knows?

Good idea on testing before using.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
WD-40 = Bunker Oil.......

Plus a few other things. Yes, a lot of people use it as an attractant, and I've seen it make a difference.

As far as on my mono.......not me, just don't want it on there. When I fish a lot, just a good rinsing and drying is it. Whenever I do a line change, the reel gets a thorough cleaning. Also beware that WD is more of a "cutting" oil than a lubricating oil, so have both.

Since I sold my boat, and don't fish as much, have been looking into other methods of cleaning. The spinning equipment is not a big problem (just remove the spool), but a bit if a pain on conventionals.

Haven't tried it yet, but know quite a few "serious" fishermen that use a product called "Salt-X", and swear by it. They also say that spraying this, after a trip, on plugs and such, keeps the rust down on hooks. I'll be giving it a try on my fall trips this year. If you want to check it out:

http://www.salt-x.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts