Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well well well, I seem to have found a hiding spot for reds while at NAS this morning. The tide was slowing down (outgoing) as I arrived at 7:45, but there was a nice breeze, and NO ONE IN SIGHT. :)

Anyway, again, using thawed shrimp, and trying 4 different spots before coming to the "hole", I decided I wasn't going to move... it was either catch something here, or go home.

I lost a few shrimp to those pesky little spot and sunfish, so I loaded up a line with a very small hook (about the size of a dime), and began catching them just to past the time. I had 14lb test snelled onto the hook, and tied onto a "in-line" 1/2 oz weight I usually use when aiming for flounder.

Anyway... my first keeper fish was a 1 1/2 to 2 pound sheephead. Fat little booger! I threw my line right next to some structure, and it never even hit the bottom. Was hoping to catch more of them, but no luck.

A few more sunfish and a nice spot (about 8 in), and then the reds came. The first two were small, around 11-12 in, but the next 3 were longer than my 20" tackle box. I didn't know if I'd get the last one in... as it bit a few seconds after the wife called me on my cell. Gonna have to leave that thing in the car next time.

All in all, an excellent way to start the morning. Can't wait to get out there again now that I have a nice spot to catch fish in.

THE Fishing Squid

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Sound's like a great time fishing there. :) What no police this time. :confused:
Catch a biggin.
Good Luck next time

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fishing Squid,
That sounds like a good time. I have a buddy up in Navarre Beach. Have you ever fished around that area? If so, any good spots?

Thanks,

Litz

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Litz,
Fishing on base is all I've done here. I've only been in P-cola since the first of the month... wish I could help you (or your friend) out.

Good luck!
THE Fishing Squid

1 - 4 of 4 Posts