Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago, some folks were using red worms to catch Spots off of the pier. Is anyone still using them? I have a trip planned for Cape Lookout in September. I always like to try something different for bait. Last year, I caught a bunch of flounder on on strips of venison.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Years ago, some folks were using red worms to catch Spots off of the pier. Is anyone still using them? I have a trip planned for Cape Lookout in September. I always like to try something different for bait. Last year, I caught a bunch of flounder on on strips of venison.
I visit to fish twice a year from Ohio. This past June I saw some people catching fish from the pier using night crawlers. It really surprised me, never would of thought about using them in saltwater but they were catching fish!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Grew up fishing nightcrawlers in the waterway and on the beach. Always did well. After a fall fishing trip a couple years ago, I always buy a bag of blood worms. Fished a hole near Avon with a.lot of other people fishing.

Caught whiting nonstop for hours, no on else had a bite.

Always good to have a variety

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have used Red Wigglers in conjunction with Fishbites and been very successful catching spots as well as whiting. I have also caught Pompano with that combination. 🎣

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I was a kid in the 70's my grandparents would take me to Nags Head to pier fish. Gramma would take red worms from the compost pile (she was very green even in the 70's) and would buy shrimp at home in central NC and salt it down so it would stay on hook on the pier. She wore out spots and croakers on her square steel rod and thumburner, and wouldn't hear of us getting her a new rod. Dad got her a spiffy new 5000 and a Daiwa rod, and on the wall in the basement it stayed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I was a kid in the 70's my grandparents would take me to Nags Head to pier fish. Gramma would take red worms from the compost pile (she was very green even in the 70's) and would buy shrimp at home in central NC and salt it down so it would stay on hook on the pier. She wore out spots and croakers on her square steel rod and thumburner, and wouldn't hear of us getting her a new rod. Dad got her a spiffy new 5000 and a Daiwa rod, and on the wall in the basement it stayed.
I've fished a NC pier more than a few times next to ladies like her - basic tackle, home made bottom rig, and hauling doubles out of the water faster than she could put bait back on the hook. I was always casting lures looking for trout, blues, flounder, or spanish... and try to pretend that the little old lady out-fishing me by a mile wasn't there. The old man wouldn't say a word, but for some reason those ladies fishing that pier found a way to strike up a conversation and let you know exactly what the score was 😄

·
Registered
369 Posts
AH......memories of the 70's. Honestly in the 70's for the most part filling a cooler with spot,croakers or whiting was not really hard. Drift fishing in the sound? If you did not catch 30-40 flounder and only keeping largest it was a BAD day....

·
Registered
27 Posts
AH......memories of the 70's. Honestly in the 70's for the most part filling a cooler with spot, croakers or whiting was not really hard. Drift fishing in the sound? If you did not catch 30-40 flounder and only keeping largest it was a BAD day....
In 70's, we do not have a fish finder and not too many can afford a boat. Now fish finder is everywhere and no fish can hide.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have used red wrigglers from the piers around N.C. and S.C. They work for spot, whiting, pomps, and croaker. I used earth worms one time and didn't do very well.

·
Administrator
724 Posts
I have used red wrigglers from the piers around N.C. and S.C. They work for spot, whiting, pomps, and croaker. I used earth worms one time and didn't do very well.
Bill, as a New Transplant in Norfolk, VA with the Navy (1975). I went to Lynnhaven Inlet Fishing Pier for the first time and my neighbor said to use "worms". So, GreenHorn me picked up a box of wigglers & crawlers and when I got to the pier, a regular told me I needed to get "Blood Worms". (Being a Floridian, I've never heard of such a thing). He gave me one long thing and told me to cut into small pieces. Walking away, that thing BIT ME !!! So early in my angling career, I learned about "worms". I did however, catch some Spot and Croaker on the "Earth Worms". But had much better luck with the Bloods.
Lots to learn in the basic fundamentals of "fishing bait".
(in my neck of the woods, we call all fishing worms that live in the ground "Earth Worms).

Edit: I recently read on FaceBook that the pier had been closed:
Lynnhaven Inlet Fishing Pier was Family Owned & Operated from 1956 to 2017, and closed it's door permanently on 5 November 2017,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts