Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok;

What is the lowdown on a red hook versus a black hook or for that matter a silver or nickel hook?

What is preference and do Red Hooks attract or repel bites??

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Not sure on the specifics, but Daiichi hooks say they mimic a bleeding bait which triggers a bite from the fish. I've been using red gammi j hooks on pups and have had good success so far.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Agree with last post. When fishing for Stripers the reds are the way to go atleast with me. Only bad thing about the red hooks, Bluefish love um.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Red hooks

Read in Field and Stream a while back that red line and hooks make no difference after about the first 2-3 feet. I know a lot of guys that swear by 'em and some that love cajun line. Never used them myself but thats what I read. Guess I should be doing more fishin than reading.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
well, I use the cajun line and red penn hooks for weakies up here. That's how I make the rig. I have used, fluro and mono with all kids of hooks and I have caught more fish using that rig better than any other set up.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
The red is just a gimmick. First, the red lines don't disappear, it just turns gray/blue because red doesn't show up after a certain depth.
The red hooks are a gimmick too, fish don't know to relate red to blood. You ever seen blood in water? It dissipates after a few seconds. They can smell it, but red hooks don't smell. That's not to say that a little extra color doesn't help sometimes, but I don't buy it.

For hook color, I either use black nickle or gold when possible. If I need a saltwater hook I'll use a dull silver finish, but try to stay away from the bright shiny nickle.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
The red finish always seems to comes off a red hook, leaving you with a shinny hook.

Black hooks (black terminal tackle in general) seem to corrode slower in salt. For the most part, anyway.

JMHO.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
The red finish always seems to comes off a red hook, leaving you with a shinny hook.

Black hooks (black terminal tackle in general) seem to corrode slower in salt. For the most part, anyway.

JMHO.
Both true. What it boils down to is what you have caught fish on and what you have confidence in.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
red hooks on all my topwaters, i think that extra moving red in the rear is good, cant hurt. caught more drum this past week on topwater with red hooks, then the zara spooks w/out them ive noticed..

if you are fishing deep water though, say for grouper or something like that, that red hook is gonna turn black anyway..

Jesse

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Oh, and a tip to save you a bit of money. Dip your plain hooks (silver or bronze) in red lacquer paint. It looks the same and you don't have to pay top dollar. Sure it'll come off after a while but so does the store bought ones. Wipe the point and barb off if you think it'll dull the hook.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
One good thing, red Gammi's are tha same price as the black ones....

·
Registered
633 Posts
on most of my jigs and plugs i like to have a red hook, they look great, and ive seen to have gotten better bites like this! As far as live baiting, if im using a single hook rig i like black hooks. If im using something like a stinger rig i like a black single hook and a red treble! thats just how i work it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts