Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a Red Drum expedition on Mothers Day weekend. Heres the thing. This is my first expedition and I am not quite sure what to use. I have a semi decent arsenal of Rod & Reel combos, more line choices then your average bait store, and not one iota of what I should be using. I already know that the Red Drum at that part of the year can get pretty large and I pray to sink a hook into one. I have a small bass boat so now all I need is a where and what to use to hook into one of those beauties. Any suggestions? I am looking for hot spots as well as preferred baits. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
for drum you'll want the freshest bait possible. I like bunker, mullet, spot, and crabs. Use chunks and heads for the fish, cut your crabs in half.

fish finder rig, 80lb hook leader attached to a mustad ultra point circle hook(8/0-13/0 size). Conventional reel, with a good working drag is my preference. 17-20lb line for surf casting, as high as 30 from a boat.

For boat fishing, I'd send you to 9 Foot Shoal, but not in a bass boat... :eek:

Maybe consider taking that little boat over to one of the ES barrier islands.....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Your best bet at a large fish on Mothers day weekend would be a Black Drum. If the weather is decent you can do it from a small boat if you launch at Kiptopeake state park. Head a mile or so straight out from the ramp and look for the crowds. Sea Clams are the prefered bait and a peeler crab or two wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips I do appreciate them all. I can't wait to try them out. :cool:

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Hey Bait, see you're from the Draft. Lived there for a year as well as in Staunton too. You should talk to Cobia Runner, he's from Staunton.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks emanuel. I think that is a great Idea. Small world huh. :cool:

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Yeah, Cobiarunner is a cool guy. Ran into him once at Lake Tams in Staunton, got to talking and found out we were both members. Kinda think we should all get hats with our names on them, that way we know. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts