Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or channel bass, or redfish, or bulls... whatever you want to call them, I want one. Figured this is the place to go for information since I've seen quite a few nice ones posted in the Photo Gallery. Tried hooking one up in the Chesapeake last August, but as Capt Dave says: "You can't catch what ain't there!"

So where is the best place and when is the best time?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
dd is the expert on this, but i'm gonna say pamlico sound sin the summer and early fall

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Probably your best bet is to talk to Drumdum, and the only drum I've caught came from North Myrtle Beach, SC, late at night in early October. Got some big ones that come in every year within 150 yds from shore and are really hungry for a mullet chunk.

Evan

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Ain't no expert,by ANY STRETCH!

Anyone that fishes OBX knows,Portsmouth Island,False Point,Ockracoke Island,and yes,"The DREADED Buxton Point" are all hotspots in the spring! Point and N Beach ,sometimes the others as well,in the fall.. If you want to fish out of a guided boat,Norman Miller out of Ockracoke is the
best guide down here in my book.. ;)
PS SEMM,who is a new member to this forum could help you out with the E Shore area,and Shaggy,from what I have read could do a "Most Excellent" job as well.. ;) :D
Sandbridge can be good,heard she took some "heat" from Izzy though.. :( AND probably the best pier KH,was taken out and probably won't be rebuilt...
:mad:

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Florida Sportsman magazine rated the Georgia coast as the best spot to catch large reds in the late fall. I managed a 35" and a 40" in less than 10 minutes this past fall, talk about the blind squirrel/nut theory.:p

If you get the urge to catch one, you could also head down here in early May or whenever the water temps hit the low 70's. They hit the beaches here in May/June and then come back in late September and stick around until Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yep, GA is THE spot for Drummies! All of y'all go on down there and fish for em, I'll be right behind ya hehe!

Right DD :D

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
There are many, many good places in the fall and early winter from Sandbridge, the OBX, Ga. and Fla.

However, there is a largely ignored spring fishery on the barrier islands of Virginia's Eastern Shore where big blacks and reds come into the surf. Those islands are only reachable by boat, though. Talk to Dr. Bubba or Salty about this fishery.

If I had to pick one place and time, it'd be the last week of September-first week of October from Sandbridge Pier down into the Back Bay refuge. Let me know if you're headed down. I always take that week off and would be glad to have you come along.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I know a shrimper who had a 55 pound red break into his net and go after the shrimp inside. He has a picture of it and that is one huge fish. We have some true monsters off the beaches here and anyone who wants to come on down to give it a shot in the spring, feel free to do so. There is nothing else I would rather do than catch a monster red from the planks, snap a couple pictures, then wade into the surf to let it go. Half the fun here is explaining to the "tourons" exactly why you have to let the fish go.

I like the following for the big reds. My 12ft Tsunami XH surf rod spooled with #17 Berkley or Sufix, an approximately 40' shock leader, and a fish finder rig with a 7/0 Owner circle hook. The approximate fight time on that is about 5-10 minutes which allows for a couple minutes of photo time before release.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
DD, thanks for the kind words. AI spring get some smaller (yet due to legal size limits) keepers. As was stated by Sandflea I believe, fall (October/November) brings the bigun's mostly bunker heads, but window seems to be three weeks or so, and I have yet to bring in anything obver 28" (might need some of DD's teaching since he might just be the "Red Drum Master").

MJ, see bait of choice (Open Forum), invitation is always open.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
By the way Sand Flea,

How far is Sandbridge from Annapolis? If not too bad a drive, be willing to make a road trip, as I have stated (probably much too much)........

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Greetings All!

This is what I love about this site, and what makes it great. Ask for advice, and you not only get times and places, but even invites!

I'll have to map out my red drum strategy using the above responses. The good thing about being a government drone is that I can take time off in the middle of the work week, when there is less competition and seemingly better weather (ever wonder why it seems to rain only on weekends?)

Looks like I'll have to buy a REAL surf rod (my two nine footers have seen better days, anyway.) I figure my Shimano 6500 Baitrunner can handle a big red, but I'll have to throw some serious thought into what to spool it up with. But this is the kind of stuff that gets you through the winter....

Thanks to all who contributed... Special thanks to shaggy and flea for the invites! And I have no qualms about CPR (catch, photograph, and release.) My buddy Ed, however, likes to top off the cooler. It'll be interesting....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Greetings emanuel!

Springtime on the planks? That does sound tempting.... I'll have to work it around the NJ fluke opener though. There's a $5000.00 fluke waiting to be caught in the bay behind Margate (seems like $1000.00 of that pool money came from me and Ed!) Can't have some pretty girl walking away with the big money again...

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
sand flea said:
There are many, many good places in the fall and early winter from Sandbridge, the OBX, Ga. and Fla.

Talk to Dr. Bubba or Salty about this fishery.

Yeap,SF there are a lot of places,Maryland south,used to have a lot them in NJ back in the 30's..:eek: Thier range has kind of been "narrowed down" some.. :(
I forgot about Bubba,I've seen his post before very informative about the Cheasbay and ES.. I'm not as familiar with all the posters on here as maybe I should be,sorry if I left some out.. The southern part of NC shouldn't be left out either,that fishery is finally starting to make a comeback as well..
MJ,spool that thing up with some 17,tie ya some good knots onto some 30to 50 shock,with a fish finder or hi-low, and try one of these spots for a drummie,you won't be disappointed.. One thing,be ready for a
"little harder pull" than a flounder or striper,IMHO... :D

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Fall at AI for the large Red Drum

Greetings MJ!

Hit AI in the Fall for the large red drum. Make sure to use a large 15/0 Gami and a bunker head on a FF rig and you are ready to go!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I would first like to thank Jake for asking the question I been wanting to catch a red drum since I read and acticle in SWS(when they did shore fishing story in 1973) about april and catching Red Drum from the surf and I would like to thank all the answered one of my fishing goals this year is to catch one and all that has responded has help like Jake stated early this is what make this site the best.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Don't over look the Ocracoke Spring run, If it is anything like last years, I will be amazing. Right RW, I know he got his share last Spring.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
MD Regs for Red Drum

MJ,

Maryland has finally stopped the slaughter of the larger, female red drum with new regulations that went into effect last year. The new regs allow one fish/per person/per day for 18"-27" fish. No more larger females will be allowed to be kept. This should help the drum population by not allowing the breeders to be caught. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts