Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be in killdevil hills, the week of the 20th. 1st time in the area. would like to know if there is a spot where family can fish off the beach and is close to bait shops .

·
Registered
472 Posts
The beaches along Kill Devil Hills, and all of Nags Head, are very gently sloping and shallow. The surf tends to "break" on a sandbar, waaaaaay out there, and then flatten out and roll, right at your feet.

There is usually a "trough" inside the bar, but it tends to be very shallow. At high tide, a 300 foot cast might get you into 6 feet of water. When the tide is out, it's even worse.

There are usually Whiting, Spot and maybe Flounder in the "soup" right at your feet. If the water ever warms up, there are Pompano as well. Don't fish too far out, they're in close, where the waves roll onto the sand.

There are several "pay piers" at Kill Devil Hills, and further south. They have bait and terminal tackle available right on the piers.

There are several good bait and tackle shops right along Rt. 158 in Nags Head. I like "Whitney's" down around mile marker 13.

If the kids are small, they might enjoy crabbing. There's a "free public pier" under the bridge to Manteo, on Rt. 64. You can fish off the pier, and there are docks and a canal where you can crab.

It's about 10 miles from Kill Devil Hills down to the "Manteo Causeway Bridge," You go south on Rt. 158 to Whalebone Junction and bear right onto Rt. 64 toward Manteo.

If you go down that way, there's a good bait shop on the left at Whalebone.

Also, at Whalebone Junction, if you take Rt. 12 toward Hatteras, it's about 10 miles down to the bridge over Oregon Inlet.

There's a "free public fishing pier" under both ends of that bridge. (there's deep water, in close, at the south end)

If you're down that way, the Charter Fleet, out of "Oregon Inlet Fishing Center", usually comes in around 4:00 in the afternoon.

It's always interesting to see what they've been into.

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
Indio,you might try Oregon Inlet,or Bodie Island light.. I know there are no tackle shops there,but you have to go by a bunch of them before you get there.. I drive by the Oregon Inlet bridge every morning and afternoon,they are bowed up with fish about every time I go by,either on the catwalk,in the old coastguard basin,or by the old ferry channel..Also have been told by a couple of friends of mine that in the sound near Bodie Island Light has had a few fish.. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
Mornings and evenings are when I'm see'n them hooked up.. If you are looking for the right tide,you may have to experiment.. Get you some sandfleas,I have also heard of them catching sheepshead on the catwalk.. Could also be some flounder by the rock jetty as well,on livebait?? I don't fish there myself,I see folks fishing and catching fish as I drive by coming home from that four letter word,w-o-r-k.......:mad: :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.