Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Doug, who attended this weekend's casting clinic, has been hooked. So now he's looking for recommendations for a rod and reel.

Considerations:

- Spinning, not conventional
- Reasonably priced
- Geared for throwing at least 4-8
- Primarily for use fishing, but also good for on the field

Taking all suggestions....

Have seen/heard good things said here and elsewhere about the EmblemX reels, the Epixor (this forum), Shimano Baitrunners, Solaris rods, for starters.

What's good for someone starting out, but that won't have to be replaced too quickly should he get more serious?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mr. Keene

I would recommend the Okuma Solaris 12 footer and the Daiwa Emblem X 6000 T. I have the exact setup. The Solaris is rated from 3 - 8 oz. The Emblem X 6000 T is an excellent long distance spinning reel. There are a few better reels, but they will cost you a lot more. If he comes out to practice, he is more than welcome to try my Solaris and Emblem X 6000 T. I think that www.digialdagger has the best price I've seen for the Solaris.
Try before you buy when ever possible.

·
Registered
712 Posts
i would match that solaris with an epixor eb-65. come with a spare spool for quick line changes.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mark,

Why not the EB-80?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Axion?

The Epixor EB and EF look good and are pretty inexpensive.

Anyone have experience with the Axion? This is supposed to be Okuma's "long cast" surf reel?

If no-one knows about 'em maybe I'll pick one up at digitaldagger and see if I can finally make 300'.

Or do you think that "long cast" stuff is b-s and stick with the Epixor? I'm willing to try almost anything not to let Doug out-do me!

·
Registered
681 Posts
James and Mark Edwards both have the Epixor. I've seen James get around 500 feet with his.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The Emblem is nicer and I believe will throw further but most people like the bait running feature of the Epixor.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great advice so far. Keep those opinions coming.

I'm not sure how Doug'll be about needing the bait running feature. Personally, the thought of live-lining grosses me out, so no bait runner for me....

I've got the EmblemX 5500t now, and just bought another for 40acres, so maybe for the price-range I'll stick with the Daiwa's, but I'm still wondering about that Axion.... I think Doug might like the price of the Epixor tho; without the baitrunner it's almost 1/2 the $ of the Emblem.

What is Mark's main tournament spinner?

(Any thoughts on a Stella 10000? heh heh heh. divorce soon. but it looks so sharp, and all those ball bearings. Queen of the Dark Side soon she may be, if reads this she does....)

And don't even get me started on the rod thing, Richard!!!!! I see a Copperhead in my future.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think mark uses a Thunnus in competition.

·
Registered
681 Posts
if you're serious about stella, you should consider daiwa surf basia QD45, or shimano aero technium 10000. i have the daiwa, and it is awesome. (cast much futher than emblem model) and many consider that aero technium 10000 might be the best spinning reel for the distance casting. but both reel cost a lot of money. :(

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Jedi_Angler,

If Doug comes out to practice on Saturday at Kenilworth Park, he can try the Solaris, Ocean Master, 6000T and EB80. Please let me know so that I can bring them with me.

As for your 300 feet, you should remember that you were casting into a head wind. By the end of the season I think you’ll be casting over 400 feet and landing more fish.

·
Registered
797 Posts
good stuff...

jedi, with the exception of terpfan's suggestion [he is no joke] you can't go wrong with any of those suggestions, so pass the word onto to doug. with terp's picks you'll have to cash in whatever's left of your treasury bonds. :D

sir backcaster

·
Registered
681 Posts
My son

Jedi,

I have a question, if I'm your father and Ralph's my father what is Ralph to you?
Tod, one thing is for sure, distance cannot be purchased. Many try unsuccessfully every day. If it could, I'd have it. That reel is for serious tournament casters. Now 40acres, I could see her buying one. She is committed to her craft.

·
Registered
797 Posts
his baby's daddy..

aero, isn't is obvious i am his baby's daddy.

sir backcaster

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Darth Ralph, I can see we may need to talk

The Dark Side is calling strongly to me, Anthony.....

Encouragement is needed to keep the Force strong.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Trouble maker

Yesterday, I went out to practice what I learned at the Going the distance seminar. It was then, that I noticed that both of my balls
were missing :mad: (baseballs). I can only assume that John Daly, err Ralph took them to prevent me from becoming one with the force.
If I happen to be in Bmore and I see Morgan aka "the short legged dog with my d*m ball. I'll cut him in half with my light sabre.

Daly hits them long, but often they are not straight.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts