Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the time for my trip to Cherry Grove approaches, my dad has been making noises about possibly going on out a charter boat for one of the days we're down there.

Does anyone have any good recommendations that aren't ridiculously priced? I checked one out that cost $800 for a full day, regardless of the number of people (with a maximum of 8). I understand these guys need to make a living but I can't see spending that much money for a day on the water. Hell, how much fish could you buy for $400 bucks?

Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Jay is around $650 for half a day of chasing bull reds right now right along the beach, will also do king mackerel trip which I'm planning to take in a few weeks for the same price. Call him and tell him your budget, etc.

I mean, 10$ for a pier vs hundreds for a charter, you can do the math. But that is one of the most baseless statements I've ever heard. You go on charters for the experience and to learn, if you want meat then head to the super market.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jay is around $650 for half a day of chasing bull reds right now right along the beach, will also do king mackerel trip which I'm planning to take in a few weeks for the same price. Call him and tell him your budget, etc.

I mean, 10$ for a pier vs hundreds for a charter, you can do the math. But that is one of the most baseless statements I've ever heard. You go on charters for the experience and to learn, if you want meat then head to the super market.
So it'd be worth a half day trip then? Because $400 is reasonable for the two of us to go ($200 a person).

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
It depends on what you view as "worth." Are you expecting 400$ worth of fillets? Right now most offshore guys are on the bull red drum and you can't keep any. They're landing 20+ per trip, but no meat.

What you get is a guy that's fished here for decades doing his best to put you on fish. Catching bait for you, using his gear, his hundred thousand dollar+ boat, taking you to his spots, cleaning your fish, etc...

You might be able to find an inshore guide for $400.

Don't forget to tip your guide. 15-20% range. If you can't swing it, pay the 10 bucks to go on the pier.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It depends on what you view as "worth." Are you expecting 400$ worth of fillets? Right now most offshore guys are on the bull red drum and you can't keep any. They're landing 20+ per trip, but no meat.

What you get is a guy that's fished here for decades doing his best to put you on fish. Catching bait for you, using his gear, his hundred thousand dollar+ boat, taking you to his spots, cleaning your fish, etc...

You might be able to find an inshore guide for $400.

Don't forget to tip your guide. 15-20% range. If you can't swing it, pay the 10 bucks to go on the pier.
I guess 'worth it' for me would either be a decent amount of fish or hauling in some some awesome fish (even if we had to let them go). Money isn't an issue in the sense that I don't have it. Just don't want to get fleeced is all.

I guess I need to quit comparing it to charter trips up here. Those tend to be in the $150-$250 range for half a day. But that's mostly fishing for blues and stripers.

Appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
429 Posts
They are catching the hell out of big red drum right now. On a pier you may get lucky and catch 1 or 2 in a couple hours compared to 10+ with a charter.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are catching the hell out of big red drum right now. On a pier you may get lucky and catch 1 or 2 in a couple hours compared to 10+ with a charter.
Which you can't keep, correct? Is there even a slot for them down there? Here you can keep them as long as they're in the slot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts