Pier and Surf Forum banner

Recommend Pliers/Line Cutters Please

4K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  AbuMike 
#1 ·
Cleaning up the gear after a recent trip to the banks and as usual my pliers are stiff and starting to rust. I keep them in my pocket for hook removal while fishing so they get wet. I was thinking about something better like stainless steel or something to prevent rust. I also use nail clippers for cutting line so I can get nice and close to the knot when I need to. Of course these have a tendency to wash out of my pocket while getting pushed around in the surf. Any good tools out there that might give me what I'm looking for in one tool? What do you all use?

#3 · (Edited)
I keep a box cutter in my front pocket .. And a inexpensive pair of needle nose pliers in my back pocket

Anything heavier than that I keep in my tackle bag.. In there I have several other types because I have yet to find one pair that does COMPLETELY EVERYTHING really well.

That's just me...
350 just got a fancy pair of those Bubba Blade Pliers he seems to like..

X2 with Garbo and the oil

#5 ·
Get a pair of craftsman plibers . when they get seized up just take them back and swap under warranty.

Wal-Mart started selling mustad fillet scissors for cheap $7 .I use them instead of the finger nail clippers. Left on boat for last 3 months no rust, no issues.cuts fish bone,braid and mono excellent.

#9 ·
I keep a pair of stainless medical scissors. They are small, stay super sharp, and can cut through pennies. I'm bad about maintaining tools like that but even after cutting fishbites, prepping strip baits and being dunked in saltwater there isn't a spec of corrosion on them.

#11 ·
Bubba blade pliers and pliers that cost $360. Two things I learned today. What a country. I use the gerber pliers thingy that folds up to fit in your pocket. Fairly heavy wire cutter, needle type pliers, blades and screw driver all in one stainless tool that goes in dishwasher after saltwater use. They are between 30 and 75 depending on what version you get. I just tested them on some older #2-0 hooks and the wire cutter cut thru on the first bite. Probably not meant to chop a lot of hooks but in an emergency they seem to be able to handle it quickly.
T

#12 · (Edited)
I bought a pair of Eagle Claw Lazer 8" fishing pliers last summer and they have handled quite a bit of abuse IE using them to knock fish out, dropping them several times in the mud etc. I clean them once in a while with wd-40. No binding and best of all the rubber grips have not moved or rolled on me like others have. I think I bought them at wally world but did not like the pouch they came with, so I used an older Mustad pouch I still have and clip it to my belt loop with one of those Chinese "don't use this for climbing" aluminum clips so they are really easy to reach. Dug this picture off ebay off a spurious auction, ( they show four but are not real clear if you are bidding on one or four ) .

PS They still cut mono quite nicely too.

Pliers Lineman's pliers Tool Cutting tool Nipper

#16 ·
I bought a pair of fishing pliers from Harbor Freight, $6.99 I think, Drilled a hole for a lanyard, toughest steel I ever tried to drill, took over 30 minutes and broke several bits. They claim stainless but..... They cut 20lb mono fine, I don't use braid....yet.Would buy again, maybe next time in a store just because I like em.

#18 ·
I use the same style aluminum ones everyone else has shown from amazon. They are submerged under weather quite often, thrown in the sand, and i've never washed them off. Been using them for about a year now. The cutters will start to dull but you can buy replacements on amazon. The pair I got also has a tip on it for opening split rings which I use quite a bit when changing hooks.

#22 ·
You can prolong the life of you current pair by getting some WD-40, spraying the joint very liberally and them jamming the pliers down in the DIRT........just keep jamming em down and working them around....open the pliers and spray some more WD-40, work the pliers open and closed.......just repeat the process until they are unsiezed. Shouldn't take any more than 5 minutes or so. It sounds counter-intuitive, but it works! It might dull the cutters, but most cutters on the lower end pliers seem to be sub-par, anyways.

#23 ·
You must come from a farming background:rolleyes:

20 years ago I left construction and went into mortgage banking and real estate, still have all my carpentry tools with me after all these years.

I have pliers that are 40 years old I bought when I first went on a construction site, used these pliers fishing, for on the job during construction, some times used penetrating oil, regular 3-1 oil and WD-40.

I have a shotgun that is 70 years old, just keep tools and guns and fishing reels oiled and clean and you have no problems.

After WD-40 raised their prices I quit using it and just use a drop of oil and wipe down with a oily rag or paper towel.

#25 · (Edited)
I have 2 pair of the original Browing pliers. For the money (about $40) they have done great over the last 6 years. Barley no rust signs and believe me they have been rode hard and put up wet many times.

Multi-tool Tool Cutting tool Cold weapon

Keychain Everyday carry Fashion accessory Leather Zipper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.