Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

First Post - I'm hoping to move to US to live shortly, but one thing concerns me ! Where can I get hold of decent Rods along the lines of Zzipplex or Conoflex. I have fished in the UK for around 20 years, so I am used to Surfcasting and Rock Fishing UK style. I'm looking for a 12' or 13' rod that can knock out 5/6 oz - 5' Butt and 8' tip fast action. I've looked at dozens of Web sites and I have not seen one decent rod yet!

Looks like I'll have to ship my rods, unless anyone has any ideas.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
You may want to bring you rods since those types are very expensive in the US. Our requiremnet are not quite as extreme. What part of the US are you going to be living in. Each region presents it's own challenges. Alos the style of fishing changes. Hit the Distance board I believe these questions are right up their ally. Enjoy your stay here. By the way for a rod to throw 6 oz I us a Breakaway 1418/2 (11'9").

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

It's just as I suspected. Looks like I'll have to ship after all.

I have looked at the Breakaway Rods (I believe these originated in the U.K anyway)and might find a model or two that might suit.

I'm headed for the Florida Panhandle.What do you reckon I'll catch?. I've read that there are Red Drum, Spotted Trout and flounder along that coast.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The panfhandle has a very wide varity depending on the time of year. Everything you mentioned plus. The list is very long. It will warm to you. I hope you hook up with a Tarpoon or Cobia.

·
Registered
712 Posts
did you look into the breakaway 1508 with a tourney butt?that fits your demands and its a nice fishing rod mine doubles as my tourney rod and i have broken 700 ft with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Digger - I guess Ihave some interesting fishing to look forward to. I reckon that I'll have a fair bit to learn as well, UK tactics may not work!

Mark I'll have a look at that 1508 by Breakaway. Sometime find that tourney rods don't always make good fishing rods. By the way 700' nice casting!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Dafydd, I may be able to help as I moved from Surrey to North Carolina 10 years ago. I used to fish the South Coast primarily with its varied beaches. In NC, and I believe it's the same along the Gulf Coast, the fish are a lot closer in. Unless you're fishing Hatteras, there is usually structure within 150yds of the surfline. Consequently, very long casting is unnecessary and US-built rods tend to reflect that. I just brought over an Abu Conolon 13' and 6500C3CTBY. I want to be able to to hit the fish when they are a ways out.

Terminal tackle is pretty much the same, paternoster and fish-finder rigs being predominant. I'd encourage you to take a look at the King Mackerel rigs for their novelty, although they're pier rigs and not for the beach.

You'll enjoy it here. The variety, size and numbers of fish are more than you're used to.

Enjoy . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.