Pier and Surf Forum banner

Recently taking up fishing again

Question: 
2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  BnCFishin 
#1 ·
Have fished head boats and piers(old Grand view pier) since I was 2 years old. I have not fished in 6 years, and have forgotten more than I really knew. Would really like advice where to begin my journey in surf and pier fishing this year. Any advice is welcomed! Any species, any way(live bait or artificial), any pier or beach. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Well welcome back. I believe the same techniques people used 6 years ago are still good today. Only real difference is that there are way less fish ha! Did you have specific questions? Fishing is a broad spectrum. Start with your equipment. If you have not fished in 6 years, I am assuming you got rid of all your stuff. If not, you should after non-use for 6 years lol. Most people have atleast a heaver, light action jigging rod, and a medium action site caster.

#4 ·
Basic tackle
1/4-1/2 jig heads.

Gulp swimming mullet (gurbs with curly tails) .3in-5in

Zmans flukes for when blues are around.

Zooms flukes are ok to for the Price.

fish bites bloodworms .

Sabiki rigs.

Egg sinkers and whatever else you perfer

Few swivels

Hooks imo circle .I like Carolina rigs , hence give eggs sinkers. 1-3 8-10, size

Wouldn't hurt to have a couple j style bait holder hooks 1-3 size

Gotcha plugs imo at least 5 or more

Storm swim shads.4-6in

Rattle trap

Bomber long a lure

Mirrorlure top dawg(topwater)
Mirrorlure slow sink. Only need a couple don't go color crazy.

This is a basic must have tackle yr round I carry.this will cover most any inshore fish you can get from land.if you can't catch fish on the above your doing something wrong.

As far as a basic combo 2-3kreel with 6'6 rod or 4k reel with 7-7'6 rod .

#10 · (Edited)
You can't go wrong with these three White pink green on plastics

On lures I try more life like colors silver mulllet,golden swimshad,or the usual blue-silver ,gun smoke -black,midnight purple. Dark colors work better at night imo.

On metals and gotcha plugs anything shinny is good. But I like white, green glow in Dark not the non glow one, and chrome- stainless .pink I had no luck On plugs with and the copper-brass not so much as the others I prefer.

#9 ·
When I'm scouting out new spots, I only take ¼oz red jigheads and pearl white gulp swimming mullet jigs. As for rod / reel, I like a 6'6" rod with a daiwa 2500 reel or similar size. Also make sure you have good 8lb diameter power pro in green with 20# fluorocarbon leader. Works for just about anything you could catch inshore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.