Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if anyone else is getting ready for the cobia. i know that i am, i just had 2 new custom rods made up and a new reel. i can't wait to bow up this year(if the lord's willin'.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am to. Planning on trying from a pier for the first time ever. Done it from a boat all my life( not to long). I got one rod with a 320gti and a penn slammer and i ordered a penn 4700ss and am deciding the rod. Cobiarunner you think storms will work for sightcasting?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
WW,

How do you like the Diawa Grand Wave Z reels? I'm in the market for a new conventional for my Oceanmaster 12' heaver and was looking into the Z-30 reel. How's the Z-50 cast 8-N-B8 or heavier weights?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Max. amt of lead Ive thrown was about 6oz. and it handled it pretty good,no backlashes just yet, but I have it spooled with 40lb mono. right now, plan on putting some 30lb. High Seas Quatro on it, but all-n-all it's well worth the $$$$$!

P.S. the Z-30 would be perfect for Spadefish, and AJ'S Out at the Light Tower
;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
You could use whatever rod you are comfortable with. If you are new to it maybe a heavy one. They do fight different then most fish because they are NUTS! I have seen people on tv shows taking them on light stuff but that is tv.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Z-30 or Z-20(whatever u desire) for spadefish,and whatever else grabs your bait, jig, etc. when fishing around big structures such as the light tower!!.

P.S. I have hooked into spades with the Slosh 30 that I couldn't even stop. A spadefish is a very muscular, stout fish with bruit strength, and a love for plyons, pilings, and other abrasion wearing structure; when hooked!! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.