Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
House Bill 513 - Peoples' Choice For Marine Sources - sponsored by Reps. Billy Richardson, Marvin Lucas and Larry Yarborough, was assigned to the House Rules Committee on April 12th. Absent a groundswell of public support, the bill is not likely to move this session. The bill seeks to place the question of whether North Carolina should limit marine net fishing on the ballot during the general election in November 2022. If approved by a vote of the public in November 2022, it would become unlawful to use a gill net or other entangling net, including trawl nets, in coastal fishing waters for the purpose of catching or taking any saltwater finfish, shellfish, or other marine animals. CCA NC wholeheartedly supports the idea of a net referendum bill, and we thank Reps. Richardson, Lucas and Yarborough for introducing this legislation.
Entanglement gill nets are highly destructive and unsustainable gears. Shrimp trawls kill hundreds of millions of juvenile finfish as bycatch in their nets every year leading to the depletion of our coastal fish stocks. Removing unsustainable and highly destructive gears from coastal waters creates a healthy resource that like a rising tide, floats all boats. The citizens of NC should be allowed the opportunity through a statewide referendum to voice their support for ending the destruction so that a rebuilding of our public trust resources can take place to be enjoyed by all North Carolinians including our future generations.

·
Registered
683 Posts
House Bill 513 - Peoples' Choice For Marine Sources - sponsored by Reps. Billy Richardson, Marvin Lucas and Larry Yarborough, was assigned to the House Rules Committee on April 12th. Absent a groundswell of public support, the bill is not likely to move this session. The bill seeks to place the question of whether North Carolina should limit marine net fishing on the ballot during the general election in November 2022. If approved by a vote of the public in November 2022, it would become unlawful to use a gill net or other entangling net, including trawl nets, in coastal fishing waters for the purpose of catching or taking any saltwater finfish, shellfish, or other marine animals. CCA NC wholeheartedly supports the idea of a net referendum bill, and we thank Reps. Richardson, Lucas and Yarborough for introducing this legislation.
Entanglement gill nets are highly destructive and unsustainable gears. Shrimp trawls kill hundreds of millions of juvenile finfish as bycatch in their nets every year leading to the depletion of our coastal fish stocks. Removing unsustainable and highly destructive gears from coastal waters creates a healthy resource that like a rising tide, floats all boats. The citizens of NC should be allowed the opportunity through a statewide referendum to voice their support for ending the destruction so that a rebuilding of our public trust resources can take place to be enjoyed by all North Carolinians including our future generations.
this will be interesting...

·
Registered
363 Posts
So no cast nets either, I guess. No bait for recreational or commercial fishermen. No more seafood sold in stores. This should really help the NC economy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
So no cast nets either, I guess. No bait for recreational or commercial fishermen. No more seafood sold in stores. This should really help the NC economy.
I love fresh shrimp. I make a regular trip to Calabash for them for eating and bait.
I wont eat farm raised fish.
I doubt stopping trawling for shrimp will have a disastrous effect on NC economy.
It will have a significant effect on the millions of by catch juvenile fish that survive.
cant see how it would not improve fishing across the board.
I would be willing to give up fresh shrimp if it improved the overall fishery.
just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A cast net is not an entanglement net. Also the "no more seafood in stores" is a bit dramatic... Inshore gillnetting and trawling is banned in every other state on the east coast except for NC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Long long long overdue . The fishing should become much much much better over time if they ban inshore gill netting , it's a disgrace that it's still allowed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You don’t realize how bad the fishing has gotten in NC until you fish in other states where netting is banned. Only then is it really understood how terrible it is to fish here these days

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it proposed---- but in N.C. it won't pass
I love shrimp too. Don't want all commercial banned. Just more responsible care of the resource.
Oh today 4/28/2021. I just watched a beach net operation ( the one were a skiff runs the net out and they bring the net into the beach with a truck) course they have to throw back all the dead fish they can't keep. Undersized speckled trout, Striped bass, Bluefish, small amberjack and whatever else swims into their nets. Third time I have seen this on the same stretch of beach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts