Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a long, long time lurker here, and figured it was time to start giving back some of what I'm taking. So here goes my first report:

Headed over to F'burg for some shad fishing. Weather was awesome. First stopped at City Docks and it was shoulder to shoulder with folks mostly throwing sabikis. Saw several hickories brought over. Decided I needed to find an area with a little more room to operate.

Ended up at Old Mill Park, waded in near the soccer fields. Was using my 5wt flyrod with a 1/32 oz shad dart (white head, white tail, red thread) and sinking line. Took a while for the flycast rust to get off, but once it did, was catching pretty consistently (when I wasn't removing wind knots). Casted 1/4 upstream, long strips as it drifted downstream, with most strikes during the downstream swing.

Fished from 2pm-5pm, hooked ~15, landed ~10, numerous other hits that didn't hookup.

There were a couple dudes upstream of me with spinning gear catching just about every other cast. Didn't see what lure/color they were using. One guy didn't have waders! He musta been pretty cold.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't hear anything about Americans or Stripers. I've never caught an American, but have always heard they don't show until late April. By then I'm usually moved on to croakers. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.