Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are two sites from Surfline that will give you 3 days of forcasts for free. :):)

If you a week to 10 day forecasts the price i $9.95 a month.

SE North Carolina from Cape Lookout to Ft Fisher
http://www.surfline.com/surfline/forecasts4/forecast_ss.cfm?alias=southeast&county=norcarolinasouth

Outer Banks
http://www.surfline.com/surfline/forecasts4/forecast_ss.cfm?alias=southeast&county=norcarolina

And here is one for you Virginia Boys;
http://www.surfline.com/surfline/forecasts4/forecast_ss.cfm?alias=southeast&county=norcarolina

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Weather sites.

A couple more:

1-http://reelbuzz.com/fishreports/frankandfrans/fetch.cfm?cid=marine1
2-wunderground.com
3-accuweather.com.

Follow the prompts.
wdbrand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the links.

Quick question -

In this forecast:
E WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 11
SECONDS.

What is the "dominant period"?

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the links.

Quick question -

In this forecast:
E WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 11
SECONDS.

What is the "dominant period"?

Thanks, guys.
That is a surfers term and not for fishing...what I believe it means is the time the wave stays at it's max height.:)

One of you surfer dudes chime in here and correct me if I am wrong

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The dominant period is the average amount of time between waves(mostly the time between each dominant wave of the set). Of course the waves you see breaking on shore typically break faster than this, but that's due to many factors, chiefly wind, followed by sand bar formation, rip tides, etc... Waves travel in sets of 3 over the open ocean, as that is the most effecient way for energy to travel through a water medium. Essentially, if you were beyond the break zone, you would encounter a 6-9 foot wave every 11 seconds (on average), which means the storm is farther off (if it was in close, the period would be shorter, and MUCH more dangerous). If you have short wave periods, lookout! It is MUCH easier to deal with a 30 foot wave with 30 second period than an 8 footer with a 6 second period. For surfers, they love a long period, as these waves will be packing alot of energy (it took alot of energy to move them across the open ocean). Sorry thats alotta info,, and take it with a grain of salt! I'm still new to the island, so I might have messed some of that up...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Well boone if there is a huge storm offshore, spoutin periods of 20 seconds or greater, chances are there won't be a beach to fish on, it'll be underwater.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The dominant period is the average amount of time between waves(mostly the time between each dominant wave of the set). Of course the waves you see breaking on shore typically break faster than this, but that's due to many factors, chiefly wind, followed by sand bar formation, rip tides, etc... Waves travel in sets of 3 over the open ocean, as that is the most effecient way for energy to travel through a water medium. Essentially, if you were beyond the break zone, you would encounter a 6-9 foot wave every 11 seconds (on average), which means the storm is farther off (if it was in close, the period would be shorter, and MUCH more dangerous). If you have short wave periods, lookout! It is MUCH easier to deal with a 30 foot wave with 30 second period than an 8 footer with a 6 second period. For surfers, they love a long period, as these waves will be packing alot of energy (it took alot of energy to move them across the open ocean). Sorry thats alotta info,, and take it with a grain of salt! I'm still new to the island, so I might have messed some of that up...
ehh... kinda.

the peroid refered to is the swell period. meaning when one swell is measured from trough to trough (or peak to peak, doesnt matter as long as its measuring between the same two points) there is a specific amount of time that it takes. the dominant period refers to the largest swell being produced at the time, which is usually the set waves. because it is possible to have clashing swells, and this usually is what produces a wedge effect. sometimes desired, sometimes not.

longer periods are prefered, but corelates to a heavier/hallower wave. shorter periods are surfable down to about 8 seconds. once you get over a 15 second period your looking at a wave comparable to an indo break if the conditions are right.

waves travel in sets, but are not limited to 3s. it depends on what is producing the swell.

bottom contour is what forces a wave to break, while wind does something completely different. offshore will wall the lip up, letting you see it roll in for 100s of yards leaving you with a glassy wave to surf. while an onshore wind will make the swell hard to read, and as soon as the lip forms push it over. side shore just chops things up, but can be managable depending on the conditions.

tides will effect how a wave breaks too. low tide is largely prefered with a few spots not really handling it as well as others. high tide may bring the water up to high, and not let the waves break. key is to know where you surf.

but as far as fishing goes, i usually just use the wind conditions and tides. but thats because i know if im fishing, then im not surfing. and if im not surfing, its flat. but for fishing use i would suggest using MSW. SL usually forcasts on the most favored side. meaning, they give the best possible surf conditions for the day. lets just say its RARELY as good as surfline says. use MSW and learn to read a swell tracker if its that important. but MSW will give you a more accurate forecast.
MSW = magic seaweed = http://magicseaweed.com/Atlantic-States-Surf-Forecast/23/

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Entropy, I consider myself enlightened! Good info! Question, why would surfline sway to the best conditions? Just to sell adverts on their site? I like it because it sends surfers here, and they spend money!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Entropy, I consider myself enlightened! Good info! Question, why would surfline sway to the best conditions? Just to sell adverts on their site? I like it because it sends surfers here, and they spend money!!
no clue. like i said they always forecast on the better side of the spectrum while other sites forecast more conservatively. but then again ive gone out and surfline has been completely wrong. i remember a specific day that was forecasted at flat and poor conditions. i went out to the croatan jetty and found head high faces with 4ft lefts just peeling down the beach with an offshore wind.

think of the different sites as different weather channels, they all say about the same thing but are all completely wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts