Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a pier and surf site with mostly spinning and conventional, does any of you knowledgeble anglers know or fish with fly gear. If so , what is the difficulty and the gear involved. I know the gear should match the species targeted. I know a guy at work that fly fishes for trout in the streams etc., but the price on those little reels and rods are phenomenal. He always gives me crap about spinning, like the comment real fisherman fly fish.Whatever! any help and links would be greatly appreciated. I just wanted to research it some. I do just as well with an ultra-lite and lures.But I am always willing to try something new!
Nate L.:cool:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Nate,

I fly fish both fresh and salt. Sometimes on your home waters of Lake Waterford for the stocked trout. What type of fly fishing do you intend to do (species etc.)? I can give you better links with this info. I don't live far from you, and if you are interested we can meet up and you can cast a couple of my rods.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Basic gear includes flies, rod, reel, fly line, backing, leader and tippet material. Don't be discouraged with the prices on the gear. You can get by with a lot of the cheaper stuff out there. A decent combo that includes everything will cost about $100 - $150.

A good book that covers the basics is Lefty Kreh's Presenting the Fly.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
hey joey,

I'm in the process of buying a fly rod. I will mainly fish for trout in charlottesville, va or harrisonburg, va. Do you recommend any rod and reel outfits or should I buy them separately?

I heard Orvis is having 50% off sale on their rods...

·
Registered
374 Posts
The Orvis Clearwater Classics combos are great (I started off with two of these and the 6 wt is still my favorite). The rods at one time were there high end expensive stuff. Orvis now backs these rods with a lifetime warranty too.

Orvis Clearwater Classics

I also recommend the St. Croix Pro Graphite and Imperial combos for starters. Both rod blanks are the same, with the Imperial having better components. These rods are very easy to load and learn with.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/flyrods.asp

Trout fishing, I started with a 9' 6 wt, and have gone down to a 7' 6" 4 wt depending on location and size of fish. If the stream you are fishing is confined, look into buying a shorter rod for easier casting.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
cool beans joey!

I went to school down in Harrisonburg, VA and never fished the awesome streams and lakes down there. I'm an idiot. I heard people around the country fly into Harrisonburg to fly fish.

How much do you think those combos will cost me, 150?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
On the cheap

My first flyfishing combo was from LL Bean. It was a complete kit for $99. It included a 6 weight 9 foot rod, very durable reel, weight foreward fly line, dacron backing, 12 flys, instructional book and some leader material. I got it about 10 years ago but I think they still offer something similar. I still use the rod and it has caught everything from 30# king salmon to small mouth bass to catfish. LL Bean garauntees everything they sell for life. I would highly recomend this combo for anyone interested in getting into flyfishing.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I actually havent been flyfishing in about a year. I have been rather consumed by the saltwater "distance" fishing recently. I grew up in Towson so I fly fished LochRaven Reservoir frequently. I also hit the gunpowder fairly often with my dad. I went to Virginia Tech and flyfished that area for SMB and trout. I am planning to dust off the fly rod when the blues move into the upper bay. I just checked and LL Bean still offers a nice 6 weight combo for $99.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
what do you use to catch blues on the fly? BTW, I went to JMU.

Orvis Clearwater and St. Croix Imperial and Pro Graphite costs around 200. I'm going to have to check out LL Bean ones. Since, I'm starting out to fly fish, my initial investment of buying everything needed is pretty steep... unless it is worth to invest 100 dollars more on the other ones that was recommended...

might have to check out ebay....

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Got the blues

I haven't caught a blue on the fly yet but I am going to tie up some flashy streamers and give it a go. Should be fun!! :D

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Jetty and surf fly gear

I use a 9-1/2 rod and a 9 weight line for fishing the bay (stripers and blues) and the lakes up in the Poconos (bass, pickeral, pike and musky). It makes a good heavy-fresh and light-saltwater setup.

SPSP used to be my favorite place to catch stripers and blues off the jetties on white deceivers on sinking tip lines.

Rod - Fenwick graphite - $75
Reel - Pfleugar Medalist - $25
SA floating line w/sinking tip - $35

BPS and Cabelas have good matched sets.

I need to do some fly fishing! ;)

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Sandcrab,

I hope the house is settling down... when I get my fly gear maybe you can show me the ropes at SPSP. I'm focusing on getting gear for trout in streams and ponds but I'm sure it be fun to try catch a blue or striper on it...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks alot for all the info , man this all sounds russian to me!
I will purchase Lefty K's presenting the fly ! I will definately read up on this first, looks very interesting.
Thanks Guys
Natel L.

·
Registered
320 Posts
jangwuah didnt realize till now i got a bunch of relation in you neck of the woods. they all live in Page county near and around Stanly. They are the Kites and Goods. the old Kite store on the shanandoah in shanandoah. Ive done some fly fishing in the shanandoah from a canoe, caught lots of small bass!!

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
One fly fishing outfit can't do it all..

Jang...

Just remember that fly fishing outfits are geared towards the species and type of water you want to fish. To find one setup that will work for trout streams, ponds, and light surf and jetties is impossible. That's why you first determine what species you will be targeting. Next - What type of waters do you intend on fishing? Stream? Ponds? Lakes? Reservoirs? Jetties?

I chose a heavy freshwater outfit that would enable me to fish for bass, pickeral, pike, and musky in fresh water and stripers and blues in the salt (beach and jetty). That is why I chose a 9 weight outfit...

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
beachbms - cool, do they own a tackle store?

Sandcrab - yeah, I know what you mean. I went to my local LL Bean store in Tysons. They had all kinds of stuff for "LL Bean" price. They had alot of "flies" for salt, looked like shiny buck tails.

9 weight sounds pretty heavy... I might just end of getting something around 6 or 5 for streams around Shenandoah... and then get the 9 weight next year... I love to bushwack into backcountry and try to target native trouts... trouts are very ellusive...

Anyone ever get bit by a snake wading in streams? My ex-girlfriend got bit by copper head... not a pretty site...

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I loved fishing the Shenandoah, man, I really miss fishing up there. Used to use ultralight and fly gear for the giant bream and smallies. Nothing like hooking into a 3lb bronzeback on 4lb test. I particularly loved fishing the Shenandoah south of Luray. Can't remember the exact name of the spot, but it was about 4 miles north of the town of Shenandoah, before you get to Luray. Right before you got to the big bridge, you'd hang a right and go along the river to the boat ramp. Used to wade out deep and drop nightcrawlers or poppers into the big holes that were full of smallmouth.

Also never was bitten by a poison snake, but saw plenty of water snakes and the occasional copperhead. I'd always wear long pants when possible while hiking.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
yeah... on a good day you can catch over 100 small mouth bass... i'm not sure if long pants will help a sharp fangs from digging into your skin...

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
If the pants are loose enough, they might just squirt venom down your socks instead!:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts