Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if fish can see darker jigs at night compared to lets say a white one. I have from numerous sources that they can and I just wanted to make sure. I have tried white and black jigs and have only had luck with the white one.

·
Registered
634 Posts
at night... i'm sure they can see the white one better..since a jig is not a "smelly" bait ...they have to see it or somehow sense it through water vibrations maybe.

btw.. welcome to the board

·
Registered
862 Posts
In one of the mags a few months back the article was talking about targeting stripers with black bucktails and soft plastic after dark. I have not tried yet but it got me to buy a few packs of black hyperstriper tails.

Tom

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
makes no sense

It makes no sense to me but I was reading an old chesapeake bay duck hunting book called Outlaw Gunners and these guys would hunt ducks at night. The book made refference many times to the hunters painting their boats white and wearing all white clothes to be less visible to the ducks at night. I always hear about people saying black is the only color to use at night for rock fishing. I guess if white is less vissible then it would follow that black is more visible. Does anyone know how the rods and cones in your eye work? The eyes of a bass are said to have a lot of rods.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I have also heard tha black is good for night fishig. I would use a grub with a large a twister tail, it makes a lot of noise and a rockfish will be able to feel the noise with its lateral line.

Rick

·
Registered
160 Posts
In the fresh water the largemouth bass LOVE black at night. By far the best color especially if fishing higher in the water column.

I think from underwater at night the water's surface looks white and the black is the best contrast. On the bottom I don't know if it matters.

Mitch

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I have always had success using this formula regarding what lure to tie on:

On bright days:Bright colors

On overcast days: Darker with a touch of lighter colors

At night:Anything dark colored.Mainly black B-Tails,Black or dark blue windCheaters,Deep purple Mirrolures.

What I have heard and read,suggests that fish use there larteral line when foraging for food @ nite,and don't rely on site as much as in the day.Besides it is dark and most fish are weery of being hunted,so using the brighter lure colors that you may have caught fish earlier in the day,might only spook the fish.

But with this said,if the fish are hungry,they will hit on anything.

"Not a fishing expert,but I did stay @ a Holiday Inn Expess,lastnite"

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I fished last year next to a guy at Chix and he was tossing a black M52 Mirrolure and I had a silver blue M52. We had the same retrieve and tossed the same spot and he outfished me 2 to 1 on the dark lure.
I'm still looking for a dark blue or black saltwater Rat'l trap to toss at them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey Chest2head ever think of painting the lures yourself I used to do that on some of my lures with a little practice you can make them look like they were origionally painted. Just a thought I used to do it and i kinda got out of it but its a good way to touch up on gotca plugs after you catch a few spanish on them:D

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
When it comes to color I think you have to just find out what the fish want that day/night. If a fish bumps your lure then you should probably change the color whether it be the lure or even the jighead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts