Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for this year surf fishing vacation.

Reading online that slack tide no good for surf fishing. It would be great if you guys tell me when is slack tide.
My understanding is two hours before high tide and and two hours before low tide is good for surf fishing. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Going Myrtle Beach this year. Went PCB last two years.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
It's the period while water stops coming in and starts going out or vice versa, it just sits for a while before the new direction starts. Usually lasts about 30 minutes but it can be different based on where you are, especially back farther inshore

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the period while water stops coming in and starts going out or vice versa, it just sits for a while before the new direction starts. Usually lasts about 30 minutes but it can be different based on where you are, especially back farther inshore
So just to make sure, if low tide at 3:00 pm, from approximately 3:00 am to 3:30 water will not move and it could be longer at the beach since it further inshore.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
It's all subjective. the tide will slow before the chart time or after the chart time depending on proximity to tide stations . Also wind can be a large variable. Typically on the western shore of the Chesapeake bay a north east wind will blow water in and the tides will be higher. A hard south west wind will blow all the water out and tides won't make up that high. Moon phase is a big variable, full and new moons have larger and smaller tides.

I've never put much belief in slack tide being bad for fishing. Most of my large runs have happened around tide change. The bite can pick up or shut down after a tide change though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts