Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you guys add oil to the bearings in your tournament reels?
I threw about 20 times today with clean and freshly oiled bearings when it seemed that the reel got faster and needed more braking. When I got home each bearing eagerly sucked up a drop of rrf. Is it typical that the bearings need more oil that frequently???

How often do you do a complete bearing soak & reoil?

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
I add oil when the reel starts to get a little squirrelly. After adding oil the reel should be very tame and fast just before the next drop is due.

Somewhere in between lies the perfect mix.... :)

I only clean and relube if needed. Sometimes you can get trash in the bearing and require cleaning but for the most part I just add as needed. If I strip the line and rebalance I clean the bearings to get the best balance spin time so reoil is needed.

Tommy

·
Registered
577 Posts
Maybe once a year, unless the reel becomes too tetchy.

When I first started I was cleaning & re-lubing before each event, then casting on average 25-30 events a year and 1 or 2 practice sessions a week. I was getting through lots of cleaner, oil & kitchen paper - for zero benefit (I gained no extra yards) and spent too long playing with the reels rather than casting them.

;)

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
some guys run there beaings dry.. Others use really thin oil that seems to spin out. I find with RRF its thick enough to not run dry..

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
i only put oil when i feel like i need it
i usually run the reels fast enough anyways so to me, its not much of a difference
unless its slow, then i see and feel the difference.

so maybe just a drop ever 5 sessions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.