Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently read about fishermen in Texas and La. using live pinfish for speck bait. They claim that it's the absolute best bait for large trout, outfishing all other baits, including live shrimp. Don't believe I've ever seen anyone using pinfish around here. Has anyone tried them? Thinking you could take some small hooks out to the pier, catch a few pins, and float them out in the wash under a popping cork. They, (the pinfish), would certainly be easier and cheaper to fish with than live shrimp. Anyway think I'll give it a try next time out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Pinfish...

I have never used LIVE pinfish, but I have used a fillet and had luck on a couple of occasions with specks up to nearly 20". I have heard from several folks that have said the same thing that live pins are good bait, but I've never personally caught ANYTHING on a live pinfish. Fillets yes, live no.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've used live pins down here in SC. I've caught blues, spanish, trout, drum, and flounder using them here. As for bait they live forever on the hook. The thing I like to do is give them a little v cut in the tail to get them swimming erratic. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have never used LIVE pinfish, but I have used a fillet and had luck on a couple of occasions with specks up to nearly 20". I have heard from several folks that have said the same thing that live pins are good bait, but I've never personally caught ANYTHING on a live pinfish. Fillets yes, live no.
Pinfish, WHEN PROPERLY PRESENTED, are very deadly for Specks, Reds, Grouper, Tarpon, and alot of others types of fish. I have personally have caught all of the listed fish except Tarpon on live pinfish. Try rigging live pinfish different ways, put one on a carolina rig, one on a float, and one on a free line rig. Once you start catching fish on one type of rig (note:this will change daily) then switch all rods to the rig.;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pinfish, WHEN PROPERLY PRESENTED, are very deadly for Specks, Reds, Grouper, Tarpon, and alot of others types of fish. I have personally have caught all of the listed fish except Tarpon on live pinfish. Try rigging live pinfish different ways, put one on a carolina rig, one on a float, and one on a free line rig. Once you start catching fish on one type of rig (note:this will change daily) then switch all rods to the rig.;)
Totally agree

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have used pinfish and caught flounder, kings, and a few trout, but for trout, small croakers under popping corks are much better because they constantly make noise when hooked and the trout can't resist that along with the popping cork. Usually works best during winter for big female trout in the surf. This has become so successful in Texas and Louisiana that there is a movement to ban this because it takes the large breeding females out of the population.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Small pigfish are much better than pinfish. They can be caught on the same flats as the finfish.
Don,this one we'll have to agree to dissagree.... :)

Never caught a dern thing on a hogfish,and YES I have tried... From floatfishing in a boat,pinfishing on a pier,and trying for a trout or pup in the sound,no luck period....... They may work for others(and I'm sure they do),but I have never caught chit on em.... :p In Fla they have grunts as well.. Tried them many times also with no luck.. Don't know if it is the grunting sound,or lack of confidence in both the hogfish and the grunt,but have never caught squat on either....

A pinfish on the other hand,not only caught specks and pups on them,but have found them in thier bellys along with shrimp and crabs when cleaning them...... Have found a couple of hogfish in them as well,nothing compaired to pinfish,but it's obvious they will eat a hogfish.. Personally,never had any luck with them though..

As far as a livebait for bigger fish,imho,skys the limit... Have caught kings,cobes,big sharks,tarpon,jacks,and alberts,that's just what I recall catching on pinfish.. No doubt there are other species that will jump on them in a heartbeat as well,groupers and other bottomfish ect...

All is jmho.....

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
No worries.

Down here around Topsail, the pigfish do very well. I guess, because there are so many of them. We fish them under floats on the flats and in the creeks. I figure its the dang noise they make that pulls in the trout. Never caught a pup on them though.

Oh yeah, damn lizard fish love em. :)

Up on the bay, it seems to be the prefered baits of some of the guides. That was when I started using them about 6 years ago. Caught some gators on them.

·
Registered
911 Posts
So,, let Me get some Opinions here...

I go on My way out to, say Wrightsville, Going over one of the smaller bridges, I can catch'em, (pinfish) about Minner size, say a inch or 2 in size..
Take'em out to the N. End, (Shell Island), float fish, or Carolina Rig those guys, for some good trout Action?

How Should I hook'em for Live baiting, Lips/back?

Another question...
Could some of ya'll trout Killer/Getters post some Pics of the Lures/Jigs (and Weight size), used in Slaying these guys?
I ask, because, Most of ya'll know I'm a Amputee, (One armed), and I'm just trying to Figure out How in the H*** I can jig/reel/hold a pole with One dern arm... And HOW, could I figure out something to work....
I been thinking about some kind of String/cup Combo to "hold" the Rod So I can free up My hand too reel...
Unless one of ya'll wanna Splurge on one of those fancy Electric Spinning reel for this Po Basterd.. Just kiddin.. I've been wishing for one ever since I lost My arm..(1986)..
Now about those trout catchin tips...

;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts