Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,

I'm looking to add a tandem to my fleet.
The boy wants to fish on the bay with me but can't keep up so we figure a tandem's the ticket.

I'm looking at the Ocean Kayak Cabo model, 16'-3" long by 30" beam. Anyone have experience with that model - comments? Or is that a new model?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well I don't know about that particular style tandeum, but in general, you should rent or try differnt types as with single seaters. I know that Wilderness Systems makes a couple of tandeums that are very stable. Reguardless of what brand you get it will be worth more than the money you paid for it. Fishing with your kid is priceless. My daughter goes fishing with me from time to time (bank or beach fishing) and the only problem I have with it is she usualy out fishes me! So far she has me at about 15 fish to my 2. Her enthusiasm is way up there and this year I am sure will be no exception. I don't own a power boat but since I am retired military I can rent john boats from thier special services. 9.9 hp and john boat. She is finally old enough to go out on a boat so this is her year to learn all about Lynnhaven Inlet and all the tributaries that it has. Might want to try the yak festival in may at seashore state park. Ton of boats and you can test them free of charge. Or you can rent some from other places and that way get an idea. But like i said you can't go wrong fishing with your kid in any capasity.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Va_yakfisherman,

You are SO right about fishin with kids.
I have the same experience with my boy.

When he's along, I barely get to wet a line. Sometimes I don't even bother. I wind up spending the whole time getting his fish off the hook and baiting him up. But, Man, is it fun!

One thing that'll really get your daughter going is what happened to me and my kid back in November on Jemrette's Pier in Nags Head.
It was the last day the pier was open for the season and there were maybe 8 people on the whole pier. Shortly after sundown the bluefish started blitzing. Put a jerk jigger on your kids line and watch her go at it! Me and the kid had all intentions of fishing until a couple hours passed sunrise but finally we quit at about 4 AM.......Believe it or not but we were plain tired of catching fish!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts