Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting closer and closer to buying a kayak to help me poke around the shallows. Do you kayakers recommend buying from a local retailer or have you purchased online? Which retailers do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hey SF -
Good question, I may be looking for one too soon. Also, I read in Tolliver's (VA Pilot) report on Sunday that Wild River Outfitters (VB) is offering a seminar on rigging your yak for fishing....sorry, can't remember the date but I think it'll be down here at the park on 64th St.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Try before you buy

Sand Flea,

I have been sea Kayaking for over 10 years actually before it was fashionable. You really must try the boat before you buy. Each kayak has different handling and stability charactistics that
you must be comfortable with. Find a dealer with a good inventory who will let you try before you buy. You might want to rent a time or two before you buy. In any case you must feel comfortable with the boat.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I recently got a Cobra Navigator kayak from Sunny’s Surplus. Sunnys no longer carries Cobra so if you can find one they are substantially discounted. The navigator is a sit-on top and it has lots of leg room and is a nice fishing kayak.
Wilderness Systems and Emotion Kayak have angler models that are already fitted out for fishing with things like built-in fishing rod holders etc.
The most informative site that I found for kayak fishing information is - http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/
I think ShoreBird gives good advice – try before you buy. But remember the elements that make fore a fast touring sea kayak work against you when fishing. Think short, wide and stable.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used multiple styles of kayaks. Right now I'm primarily looking for good companies to buy from once I do finally settle on a particular manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
flea,

So you have the outback? Please let me know how well it performs in the bay. What's the price on one of those things?

I like the Cobra Fish and Dive kayak because soon as my son turns 4 or 5 I can take him fishing...

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have the Outback. I'm reviewing it for the site because Hobie pushes it as a fishing kayak. I may eventually buy it, but it's very expensive and really, really heavy.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Kozlo

I mentioned this in my post above http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/ , this is run Jon Shein and his partner. I did a lot of research before I bought my Navigator and found kayakfishingstuff the most helpful place to go.
The outback was on my short list but it is heavy – my Navigator is only 45#. Also one of the really neat things about the kayak is that you can slide over grass beds and logs to get to places inaccessible to boats and I wonder if the fins on the outback would get tangled in the grass. One thing I find in kayak fishing is that space is limited and tangles happen. With a paddle and paddle-leash (don’t want to be without a paddle); 2 rods also leashed to the yak; and a tackle box between your knees…. The foot pedals on the Outback are going to be a problem.
This www.emotionkayaks.com/HTML/Kayaks/Fisherman.htm looks interesting.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I will be conducting both seminars along with Darryl Holifield. He is SINK and I am SOT. Som come on out to First Landing State Park in VA BEach on September 13th from 10am - 4pm. (it will cost $5 to try a boat but that will be donated to the park) Or come to Wild River Outfitters on September 23, for a more formal seminar.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
interesting...

does anyone know any good fishing kayaks that can handle two people but also work well as a single?

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone found any use for the inflatable units? Yeah, they're not as stable or durable but they're ultraportable. Opinions?

·
Registered
46 Posts
kayaks in b-more and vicinity

You may already know about these. Hudson Trail Outfitters has stores in Towson on York Rd. and in Annapolis Mall. Springriver has a store inCatonsville (?) on Rt. 40 just west of Rolling Rd. on the north side (small) and a neat store on the water in Annapolis at Severn and Third Streets, south of Annapolis Harbor. At the Annapolis store you can try some of the kayaks they sell. Have fun,
John

·
Registered
290 Posts
jangwuah
All of the kayak makers mentioned in this thread make tandems that would be good fishing kayaks and tandem kayaks are a lot easier to handle solo than a canoe. The main thing is to get one that is roomy and stable.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Thanks Fish-bait,

I was doing some searching and I found a liking to Malibu Ocean Sport Pro2 tandem kayak (outfitted for fishing). Do you know any outfitters or stores that may sell these kayaks up Northern VA or MD? I would love to try it out.

I also heard Malibu II was also nice too. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts