Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently decided that I needed to start making my own rigs/leaders/etc. - instead of buying the "pre-made" setups. This seemed like a good idea. For much needed assistance, I ordered the book, Practical Fishing Knots, but it hasn't arrived yet. In any case, I couldn't wait, so I went out this weekend and bought a ton of supplies (swivels, hooks, beads, line, etc. etc.).

But here's my question: I was planning on making some leaders out of 50lb line. I bought a spool of Trilene BigGame. But of course, when I went to begin creating my leaders/rigs/etc., the line is all curly from where it's been on the spool. Is there a way to easily straighten it? Or, do I need to buy the line specially designed for leaders?

As always, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The easiest thing to do is cut the desired length. Then hang them up with a weight on the bottom. This will do the trick.
Daniel

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good book you ordered. Personally I buy just about every book on knots that I come across.

I would not worry about the curl in the line, once you put a sinker on the rig it'll straighten out. Also, once the rigs are tied you'll have to put them away again, most likely coiled or folded in some manner.

Personally I tie all my my own rigs on the spot and don't have anything "premade" beforehand. Takes only a few minutes and it's alot neater packing a roll of mono vs. ready-made rigs.

Lou

·
Registered
56 Posts
hey ropiv, like heaver i tie most of my rigs on the spot.an other route would be to take a piece of leather fold it over the leader and pull it thru a couple of times.depending on the length, you could also add a small weight and pop them in the oven at 250 for 10 minutes.most times though a few short casts and retrieves will do the trick.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I used to use Trilene Big Game 50 lb test for tying my shockers and my leaders but have gone away from buying spool mono to do this. Instead, I use the large loops of leader material instead (Jinkai, Ande, Sten High Impact, etc.). It is stiffer and works really great for shock leaders, leaders, and my snells. :) No curls...

I use 50 lb for my shocker and leaders.
I use 80 lb for my snells.
I use 100 lb for shark rigs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts