Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out at PLO with Hat80, MasterCaster & Clyde's buddy Chuck and I happened to glance over the flyer for the Capitol Longcaster's tournament. Are you folks really pocketing 40% of the gate on this thing? The way I read the flyer, of all the money you take in, 40% goes to the Capitol Longcasters and only 60% back out in prizes, right? No charity donation, etc on that 40%... just profit and overhead for the Capitol Longcasters? It's a straight commercial venture for you guys?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Rugger,
First, it was a pleasure meeting you at the Choptank River Pier Volunteer Cleanup. You have asked a good question. That was an example of the kinds of things we like to support. You should also note that I, Aero993 and the other key members of Capital Longcasters donate money and are contributors to P&S. As I am writing this several dozen people have benefited from our “FREE” Saturday casting lessons. Not only do we donate our time, money and gas, we also provide free practice equipment. And, yes we support and donate to fishing related charities here in the Chesapeake Bay region.

Please use the link below for a better understanding of what we are about. If you still have questions, feel free to ask.

Who we are...

·
Registered
164 Posts
aero993

Would you tell me how I should register for the PLO tournament on the 20th when I won the drawing at the choptank? I want to register online, but it asks me for payment.

Hookem

·
Registered
681 Posts
registration

I sent you a link to the registration form. Select the check or moneyorder box. I will know that it's you. Good luck

·
Registered
905 Posts
are all the contestants going to fish the chesapeake side or potomac side, or choice of sides. how much space are you allowing between fisherman? i have some friends that are also signing up, is it possible that if we get there early enough to set-up besides each other?

·
Registered
681 Posts
FishOn

It will all depend on the number of people participating in the tournament. Thats why it is important to register and pay early. That way, we will have an accurate count to give to DNR. We will do every thing possible to set you and your friends in adjoining spots. Remember, we are fishermen and we want everyone to enjoy themselves. If you or anyone else has any other questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fair enough, James. If I can make a suggestion.. you folks might want to consider on future event ads/flyers making the point that you aren't turning a profit but are reinvesting in events & donations. The way your flyer on the event reads it makes it seem pretty clear that your running a strictly for-profit event.

Bob

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have to say, since I've hooked up with them, the Longcasters folks have been pretty generous with not only their time but with a lot of the necessities of getting into the sport.

Nobody's ever been denied a length of shockleader or a sinker, baseball, or clip at a weekend practice, not to mention the costs associated with setting up for events or the weekend practices. I imagine someone's paying for that stuff.

I'm not saying I've done an extensive audit of the club's 503c not-for-profit filing, but I kinda doubt anyone's getting rich off the odd event. But the surf-casting community's certainly benefited from their activities.

I can vouch for at least 3 people in the past 4 months they've been responsible for getting into the sport, and lots of commercial vendors selling them (ok, us) thousands of $$ in equipment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts