Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first, i liked to thank everyone here for posting all the great info on surf fishing. i've learned so much by just reading (how, where, when, etc..) the threads.

after reading the some of the threads on drum fishing, i wanted to try my luck. i bought a heaver (emblem pro,11' tica dolphin) and went to ocracoke. within the first ten minutes bam! 32 inch. not 5 minutes later bam! 26 inch slot. caught two more during that trip. went to hatteras a month later and caught 3 more. i was hooked. went again to ocracoke and caught just 1 fish for the weekend. 24 inch slot. now here is my problem, i only caught 2 of the drum on a FF rig. the rest were on a standard two hook bottom rig on light tackle set up for smaller fish. the 2 that were caught on the ff rig were by luck, i happened to pick up the rod from the spike and the drum hooked itself.

here is my question, do i loosen the drag so the drum can take the bait if so, how will i know i got a hit? if i don't loosen the drag the drum will take the bait then feel the weight and spit it out. what does the rod tip look like when a drum hits a FF rig and when do you set the hook or do you let him hook himself. on the 2 hook bottom rig my rods were heavily bowed (light tackle) btw, i use a cannonball rig on my heaver (spot head, cut bait, finger mullet)

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Sometimes a drum will just come up and mouth the bait, all you see is a slight bob in the tip. A lot of the time with the bigguns (40"+) there is no doubt, the rod just bends over with line screaming out.You did not mention whether you were using conv or spinning gear.

With conv, you back the drag off to a comfortable level,(some use almost no drag, others have it set almost at fighting level) set the clicker and sit back and wait.With a spinner you can back the drag off but without some sort of line out alarm you have to watch the rod tip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks cdog,

i have a spinner by the way, i guess instead of spikin it i'll just hold it or attach a bell when spikin. with heavy surf it's too hard to tell unless your holding the rod. i guess i should learn how to throw a conventional, what are your thoughts on a baitrunner, is it similiar to a conventional ie. clicker/freespool? the new daiwa black bite n run seems nice.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
thanks cdog,

i have a spinner by the way, i guess instead of spikin it i'll just hold it or attach a bell when spikin. with heavy surf it's too hard to tell unless your holding the rod. i guess i should learn how to throw a conventional, what are your thoughts on a baitrunner, is it similiar to a conventional ie. clicker/freespool? the new daiwa black bite n run seems nice.
Most spinners even with out the bait runner feature should make enough noise for you to hear them. I have not used the bait runners so I can't help you there.

Are you using circle hooks or J's. If using circles, don't bother holding the rod as that will just tire you out.Most times the fish will hook itself when you apply pressure or start reeling.

·
Registered
805 Posts
From personal experience loosen that drag on the spinner after you cast or a big fish will yank the rod and spike right out of the sand. If your in heavy surf the difference from a wave/fish on is very easy to distinguish. O yeah and if your spinner doesnt "click" loud enough when the line is going out, Im sure it will make enough noise for you to take notice when its on its way to davy jones locker...:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts