Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a kid I went fishing with my dad and uncle at a place called Lake Schaffer in Monticello Indiana. The lake is connected to a big river, and is famous for Striper fishing.

Down at the local pier I have been seeing a lot of Stripers caught - are they the same in fresh water as they are in saltwater (same species). They sure look the same.

Anyone in the know please holla back.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
There are 2 types of lunkers.The ones that are land lock(ie...Lake Gaston)and the ones that spawn from fresh ,through the rivers to the ocean.And someone correct me if I am wrong,there are ocean stripers,that stay in the ocean.I hope this helps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I say a lot I have probably seen about 20 stripers caught in the last 2 days. One group of young guys caught 7 in about 10 minutes in shallow water the other day. Lynnhaven was dead for most of the week but the last two days have been good for round head and puffer fish. Also seen a croaker or two and a skate caught. The weather may be bad, but hopefully it will be fishable.

Thanks for the info on Stripers - yes that helps a lot. The ones caught in Indiana are obviously stocked and land locked.

See you out there maybe - good luck if you go.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
They can be the same fish. Although many lakes are stocked with a hybrid cross of White Bass and Striped Bass. Stripers can live in freshwater although they naturally mirgrate between the two.

·
Registered
256 Posts
if the landlocked stripers are contained within a large enough body of water, can they approach similar sizes to the ocean migratory fish? are there stripers in the any of the great lakes? i know lake michigan drains into some indiana rivers, but i don't know about the location of dams, which would impede the progress of the fish.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Yes they can get as large as Ocean Fish. I have seen pics in the 40-60lb class. I have not heard of any in the Great Lakes though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I weighed a 15 lb 28 in striper here on Lake Whitehurst for a kid one day. I was out fishing and saw him trying to bring him in. We were in 24 ft of water and hot as .... So I beleive they do.

·
Registered
3 Posts

They planted stipers in the large resevoirs out west awhile ago, and it looks like they're starting to get big. New Mexico's state record is close to 55# and Utah's is around 48#.

Unfortunetly, there are no stripers here in the great lakes (job brought me back to MI from Va Bch. I now live about 6 miles from Lk. Michigan). Alewives (another saltwater fish) invaded the great lakes around the 50's or 60's and became a problem by overpopulating and dying off - leaving millions of dead baitfish on the beaches. The great lakes states debated between planting salmon or stripers to eat up the alewives, and ended up deciding on salmon (which I really can't complain about, they're a ton of fun and great eating).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oops! Sorry, that picture above is the fish from New Mexico. I looked it up again, the fish was 54 1/2# and get this - 45 inches long with a 34 in. girth!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information you guys - yeah as you can see above the stripers in fresh water get pretty damned big. In Monticello Indiana they are often caught in the 30-40lb range, but the biggest I caught was about 10lb.

Hammerhead - what part of MI are you living in? I grew up in Allegan MI as a kid and used to go fishing for perch at the SouthHaven pier all the time. Ice fishing is AWESOME on Saginaw bay for walleye too.
How do you like Michigan? Depending on where you are the fishing is fantastic in the 100s of nice clean lakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GraphixDude,

Born in raised just north of you in Muskegon, MI. Spent countless hours catching perch, steelhead and brown trout off of the peirs. Moved to Virginia Beach for three of the most bittersweet years of my life (loved the fishing, hated the city). Recently returned to Michigan for both my job and my wife's. Now I'm living up north by Charlevoix.

You're going to love fishing the salt. If you ever have any questions, this board is by far and away the best source of information. And once you get settled down and become more familiar with the area, start exploring. My personal favorites are Kiptopeke State Park (eastern shore) and anywhere on the outer banks of N.C.

Good luck and tight lines.

GraphixDude, off topic question. How'd you get the Graphix handle - artist or designer? Just curious 'cuz I'm a graphic designer/illustrator by profession

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I think you and I have fished some of the same water there in Michigan bro..my uncle used to take me fishing everywhere and even as an adult living in Chicago I often made the trip to the other side of the big lake to fish my favorite waters in Michigan.

So far the salt fishin is fun because its an adventure, not knowing what is going to come up next. I caught skates today (one was close to 14lbs on a hand held scale) and that was pretty intersting. Its fun, but I have to admit I don't like it as much as I like fishing the waters in Michigan. I don't think the fish like blues and stripers fight anything close to as hard as a large mouth or small mouth bass, and you can't even compare a Coho or large Lake Trout to these fish I am catching here.

My Mom still lives in Michigan so I will be there again soon to visit and fish.

about the nickname - Yeah bro I do Graphics (CD covers mostly, and a lot of flyers and posters) and website development for a living. I worked for a few years for a printing company and now I am doing it on my own and making a lot more money. The printing company still sends me a lot of work, but I am happy to be doin it in my underwear in the living room rather than having to drive to work.

Stay in touch and have fun in my favorite state. When I am going to my Moms for a visit I will let you know and maybe we can hook up and I can show you some super secret spots I know of there in Michigan - one place is the most magical place in the world I think in the middle of a woods, and NO ONE fishes there since I was a kid. You wouldnt believe the bass and blue gills and pike there!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Lived i Arizona for a bit.. I was surprised to see so many striper in lake Mead which is freshwater. You can sometimes even catch them in the canals around Yuma arizona since they sometimes travel down the Colorado river

·
Registered
15 Posts
The freshies get as big as the salties and the only limit is food and space.

Nevada's record I believe is 60 lb 14 oz.

They seem to be wider and shorter compared to their saltwater conterparts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts