Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but not new to fishing. I have spent many years as a freshwater bass fisherman. I recently decided I wanted to get into fishing that involved larger fish. I live in Florida so I figured Id jump into pier and surf fishing. I have a few spinners that I use but I always used a baitcaster when I was doing freshwater. I wanted to make some long distance casts and a few people recommended the jigmaster 500L. You can get them pretty cheap and they fly a mile. I didnt think I was going to have as much difficulty with this reel as I am having. They were right, when everything goes right, I can throw well over 100 yards with 6OZ of lead on it. The dang backlashes are getting annoying though. I was hoping someone here could tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I've never had this much trouble with any of my baitcasting (freshwater) rigs. People have suggested 2 ways of casting to me... One is to put the "lever" in freespool position, this is what I think the right way is, let it rip and try to control the spool from backlashing with your thumb, the 2nd way someone told be is to NOT put the lever in the freespool position, instead, just loosen your drag until your weight will easily pull the line to the ground. Then cast. This seems to me like it would create a substantial amount of wear on the reel. Which way is correct? Thanks for all the help!!!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Well...somehow, my post disappeared. Anyway...you cannot tame the Jigmaster unless you are used to casting a conventional from the "old days". If you are new to it, then it will take some "magging". It's a GREAT reel by itself, and even better for a new caster when it is magged. If you need instructions on doing so, PM me. Otherwise, I will make the same offer to you that I do to all the folks on here. You pay shipping to and from, and I'll mag it for you. I already have the mags, etc., so you'll only pay shipping. PM me either way. Larry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts