Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had some good success using Gulp when fishing it as lure...for example, on a jig head or under a popping cork. However, I've never had any luck using it for bait like on a FF or two hook bottom rig...is it not intended to be used that way? Does Gulp need to be used only as a lure to be effective?

·
Registered
594 Posts
My brother in law used to use them like that. Like a fishbite. He did that for Gulps that had the tail bitten off. He didn't have much luck. Mainly pinfish nibbling.
I doubt it is meant to be an artificial bait like a FB is. I have only fished it as a lure.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Funny thing, but my experiences with it has been the opposite. It's worked fine as a "lure" like on a jig head, but some of the types, like the jerk shad have not produced any better than similar lures in the regular plastic. Under a popping cork I don't think it matters a lot if it's Gulp or regular plastics, I've had both work just fine.

For use as "bait", shrimp, clam, bloodworm, and crab have all worked pretty good for me sometimes, even better than the real thing. But I do feel that some species of fish respond better to it than others. I've caught a lot of Catfish, Croakers and White Perch with it up in MD. Even LM bass in the brackish water seem to like it as a lure, but regular plastics work as well. IMO if it's a lure that needs to be moved a lot, like a fluke or minnow bait, Gulp is not better than regular plastics. The Gulp is not as flexible so doesn't have the same type of action. IMO, even the older Powerbait works better than Gulp for some fish.

Now, with that said, I do use hooks that have small spinners on the leaders when I use it as "bait", so that may be part of the success I've had. I don't use a plain hook with any of the "biodegradable baits" very often. Even Fishbites have worked well for me, but again don't use them with plain hooks much either.

So, to answer your last question, IMO it depends on what you're targeting & how you rig it, so it's a yes & no. At least for me anyway.

·
Registered
929 Posts
It's works all ways.I have used as fish bites after a blue or flounder tears the gulps up like fishbites for spots and croaker .. I've seen flounder and croaker hit them on a bottom rig,but moat effective way is to jig them. I've also use old gulp in my bait traps to catch minnows and gundgeons....

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've caught a few fish using Gulp as a lure, like you mentioned. Never had a bite using it as bait on a bottom rig. Tried the bloodworms, crabs, etc. None produced any bites for me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was talking to a guy on Apache the other day and he was telling me how great the Gulp Bloodworms worked, then I pulled a pack out of my bag and asked "you mean these?". I've never had a bite on them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wolf. My experience has been good on a double setup using the gulp swimming mullet. I'm using a 7-7'6" rod with a 2500-3000 reel. It's great on flounder, trout, and pups. Just have to do a slow crank and keep twitching the road so they move up/down and forward.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've used tiny bits of the bloodworm flavor to cover the point of the hook and help keep the actual fresh bloodworm piece on the hook. In most cases I've tried that, they just stole the real stuff and left the Gulp bait on the point of the hook.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts