Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my Penn Battalion II 12' conventional rod a few days ago. I won't be going to the beach until Sept. so won't really have a chance to learn to cast it, but I did take it out in the driveway for a few dry runs with no line. I looked down the guides from the perspective of the reel and I notice that the first guide (on same section as seat) isn't terribly aligned down the spine. The second section has a little variance as well as you move through the guides. How important is it that they are all right in line? Should I return it (Amazon)? I also might go see if a place like Cabelas has some similar rods in stock and I can see if there is uniformity within the guides.

Is some variance OK? I think it's less than 3 degrees offline but if this is going to noticeably impact my casting distance I'd rather try again. If it's a total crapshoot getting one that is all lined up I want to make sure I have enough time to secure one before my trip in about a month.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
You can cover the guide up with a cloth or hand towel and with one hand gripping the rod use to other to push the guide frame into alignment with the cloth protecting your hand and the guide.

The more inexpensive the finished rod the less time the rod builder has to get every thing perfect. Likely the rod builders for Battalion are nice oriental ladies who have a Sweatshop Boss standing over them and they are building 10 rods or more an hour.

It takes me a week or more to build a rod because I am not in a hurry and I am not building the rod for anyone but me.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
You can heat up the guides epoxy with a hair dryer to soften their grip on the guide frame. I would be careful not to apply so much heat that the Epoxy starts to discolor.

If a guide is just a little off an all you are worried about is a reduction in casting distance I would not worry about it, just practice casting and your distance will improve regardless if the guides are lazer straight.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Go find a big pond or lake and practice there, when you get to the beach you will enjoy it more if you are accustomed to the reel and the rod.

I practice pendulum casting in my front yard. I just do not release the sinker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts