Pier and Surf Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks got a question that I've always thought about it but never could come to an answer, so here goes. You're at the surf and you cast your fishfinder rig setup with bait. You feel the sinker hit the bottom and because of a little current your line moved a little bit. You reel in a just a little to pick up the slack on your line and it's now tight, straight and not moving. So now I say to myself, well let me let out some line so the chunk of bait can move away from the sinker. Now the question is,, did the bait really move away OR am I just adding a belly to my line because of the little current and the bait is still next to the sinker?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Slack in the line. I dont think its necessary for the bait to be away from the sinker anyway. I think its just set up so the fish wont be pulling the weight of the sinker when it bites and runs with the bait.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I like to pull back on the line after the sinker hits the bottom by closing the bail (spinner) and walking the rod up the beach a couple of feet to lodge the sinker in the sand better

Then I put the reel on free spool and walk the rod back up to my spike, to keep from pulling the sinker in.

Then I set he rod in the spike and strip off 2-3 feet of line to give the bait some room to move.

Then set the reel off of free spool, check the drag and let the current and the tide take the bait out. Generally within 5 mins, the line is tight again.

But this is just my way of doing it

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'll have to agree, I would think that the forces, (wind and current) applied to the long portion of line would over come any force applied to the sort section of leader, therefore keeping the bait pinned to the weight. JMO.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Then why is it called a "fish finder" rather than a "fish runner" if your not going to let it tumble around in the surf, to "find the fish"

Seems to me that a cannon ball or carolina rig would be better since alot of you are advocating "pinning" the bait and hook close to the sinker. At least with those two rigs, you set the distance between the bait and sinker by the length of the line tied to the hook between the swivel and letting the weight sit back on your shock leader. Of course your gonna lose distance in your cast.

That being the case, then the only advantage of a "fish finder, aka, fish runner" over a carolina or cannonball rig is that the bait/weight are closer togeather, therefore more distance.

Again, distance seems to be the crown jewel in the surf fishing gendre and is the measure of manly hood based on how far you can heave 8 an bait.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
My understanding of the FF rig is to allow the weight to be free of the running line or shock leader, depending on how you are set up. This keeps the fish from feeling the weight and also allows the fish to run with the bait and not the weight.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My understanding of the FF rig is to allow the weight to be free of the running line or shock leader, depending on how you are set up. This keeps the fish from feeling the weight and also allows the fish to run with the bait and not the weight.
My understanding also but I go back to my original point.
Why is it not called a "Fish Runner" Rig?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I want my bait on the bottom and rolling with the current,actually slower than the current,not washing all over the place, Drum are bottom feeders, so I want my bait on the bottom. One inch leader, trying to keep it pinned to the sinker. And yes I want to throw it as far I can.....actually I want to throw it further than I can, I will never be happy with the distance I am throwing.
However, I also tie a 36inch piece of 100lb between my shocker and fish finder rig, so it is kinda a carolina fish finder rig.
Not sure why you are trying to stir up something with people who can really cast, They/we have a very distinct advantage to the the folks who can only get past the first breakers... we can fish more water.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Just to stir the mix a little more I think that if you're spiking your rod you should use at least two. One as far out as you can get it and another one in close. Idealy, I then use a third that I hold and move it around a bit doing some "fish finding".

Mulletbreath, just noticed thar we're almost neighbors, I'm down in the 'burg, Midtown. We'll have to try to plan a trip or something.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but not all people use the rig with a drum type leader on it. A lot of people use them like a carolina rig, with a longer leader. It may not be very common to see this rig at hatteras or among drum fishermand, but I have seen fishfinder rigs with 18" or so if leader on countless ocaisions
Then why is it called a "fish finder" rather than a "fish runner" if your not going to let it tumble around in the surf, to "find the fish"

Seems to me that a cannon ball or carolina rig would be better since alot of you are advocating "pinning" the bait and hook close to the sinker. At least with those two rigs, you set the distance between the bait and sinker by the length of the line tied to the hook between the swivel and letting the weight sit back on your shock leader. Of course your gonna lose distance in your cast.

That being the case, then the only advantage of a "fish finder, aka, fish runner" over a carolina or cannonball rig is that the bait/weight are closer togeather, therefore more distance.

Again, distance seems to be the crown jewel in the surf fishing gendre and is the measure of manly hood based on how far you can heave 8 an bait.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Jeff, I know, I know but's overcast and about 30 here in central PA. For the 1st time in 6 months there are no football game's on TV and I've already fooled around with my gear 3 times today. NO NO, my fishin' gear not my other gear. (at least not yet).

As well, we're not sniping at each other.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Some people will try to reinvent the snowcone......:redface:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
i wont add, itll just make the line bow even bigger.
just pick up all slack. then loosen drag, and pull a smidge of line out.
so your rod will have some room to dance when pulled.
cause its not bogged down all the way from a tight line.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.