Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

When I was a kid my dad took me fishing on a bridge in Annapolis, I believe, facing the Naval Academy. I remember catching a bunch of blues using frozen shiners under a bobber and hooking spot near the pilings. Also, I believe that this bridge opens up for larger vessels to go through. It's been at least 16 years since I was there last and was wondering if the place still exist. Someone said that the bridge has since been cut back to a short pier and another bridge is built in front of it. Can someone one the forum verify this for me? These fishing trips really helped me bond with my father and now with kids of my own, I would like to expose them fishing and creating lasting memories.

I have not fished the saltwater for many many years and after reading the threads for nearly 2 years I'm starting to get the itch again. Any help, advice, tips, or a good joke from the forum is greatly appreciated. Hopefully, I will get a chance to meet many of you in the future on the fishing hotspots. Thanks for ready this wordy post.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Severn River Bridge Pier

If you check the Hot Spots link on this page it will tell where it is. I have never fished there but i ride past it whenever i go to Sandy Point to fish. One of the guys here who frequent that spot will be able to help you better. The only thing i know really is the name of the place..........Tight Lines

MC

·
Registered
223 Posts
Naval Academy bridge / fishing pier

On the East/North side at the foot of the Naval Academy bridge there's a pier extending into the Bay. I think it's the remnants of the bridge that preceded the (quite beautiful) bridge that's there now.)

I think the bridge you're thinking of that opens and closes is the one over Spa Creek leading to City Dock Annapolis, that's a drawbridge that opens/closes to let sailboats pass. Or maybe the old bridge was a drawbridge....

Enjoy, and if you don't catch anything, there's always Cantler's nearby!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The spot that your're talking about ,is now called the old Severn River Bridge. Yes it use to be a draw span and people use to walk out on it and fish just like the Old Choptank River Bridge. There was and still is a park next to it on the shores of the Severn River named Jonas Green, but maybe 10-15 years ago they constructed a new bridge , right beside it which is much taller, therefore eliminating the need for a drawspan. They hauled the old bridge away and just left a piece of it on the north shore for people to fish from. To get to it from the Naval Academy,go over the Naval Academy Bridge(the "new" bridge which is MD 450. At the light when you cross the bridge turn Right and then take the first right and you are there. You might want to find another place to fish with your son, because for me places like the old Severn River Bridge and the Choptank River Bridge have loss their ambience since they have been mangled and disfigured and relegated to being "fishing piers" rather than the arteries for the life-blood of the commmunities that they once served.

Seabass

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seabass is right on all counts. I spent 25 years on the Severn and I understand - your message is loud & clear.

Assuming you drive down from York, you have a lot of options around Anne Arundel and Calvert Counties. But don't forget that the Eastern Shore is only another 20 minutes and a century in time away. Do your research, pick a spot and make it your own.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the replies. Although the bridge is gone, much of the fond memories remain. If anyone care to recommend a few spots that I should try, I would greatly appreciate it. Also for bridge fishing what type of gear is ideal? Rods (length? line weight? brand?), reels (line capacity? brand?), terminal tackle, bait, and local baitshops. Sorry for so many questions....I'm a new when it comes to the salt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts