Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Nice Walt. Did you use Testor's for the marbling or something else (TAP, Diamondite?)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
That is really cool lookin.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Every time I see the title to this thread I think of Abita beer. :beer: Yummm...purple haze.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot guys!!

Terry, I still like the testors because of all the available colors; but I plan to try the Diamondite to see how it works for me. With the Testors I just let it sit for a long time and pour off the clear stuff, then use the thick pigments left in the bottom of the bottle. So far I haven't had any problems with it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Very, Very nice!

Help me figure the steps...

lay down metalic thread? (guides etc..)
marble that
add trim bands
finish coat

????? Am I close?

btw.. I built that same rod for myself. Love it!

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very, Very nice!

Help me figure the steps...

lay down metalic thread? (guides etc..)
marble that
add trim bands
finish coat

????? Am I close?

btw.. I built that same rod for myself. Love it!
You've got it figured out, for this rod I used purple ncp for the underwrap and guide wraps. The metallic effect was from a metallic pigment I added to one of the shades in the marble.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I've been experimenting with the Diamondite stuff. It works quite well, and not very much pigment is needed. I saw somewhere that they had a metallic kit available as well, but have yet to see it for sale anywhere. Then again I haven't looked in a while.

Anyway, the stuff ain't bad, but my marbling skills suck. :redface: I think I need to let the epoxy set up a bit more before trying because it's running together a bit.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Purple Haze will be on OBX this time next week. It truely is a beautiful rod and I can't say enough about Walt's skill as a rod builder. He's also one heck of a nice guy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts